Xbox 360's 'Xenon' CPU die-shrink to 65nm delayed until mid 2007

Discussion in 'Processors' started by AirRaid, Dec 26, 2006.

  1. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    65nm Xbox 360 CPUs delayed until mid-2007

    Monica Chen, Taipei; Rodney Chan, DigiTimes.com [Tuesday 26 December
    2006]

    According to industry sources, plans to produce CPUs for the Microsoft
    Xbox 360 game console on 65nm at Chartered Semiconductor Manufacturing
    will be pushed back until the middle of 2007, at least one quarter
    behind the original schedule.

    Microsoft Taiwan declined to comment on the news, while Chartered also
    declined to comment, stating it did not comment on the production
    schedule of any of its customers.

    In April 2006, Chartered announced that it had signed an agreement with
    Microsoft to manufacture CPUs for the Xbox 360 console on 65nm
    Silicon-on-Insulator (SOI) technology starting in the first quarter of
    2007.

    Chartered is already a major foundry partner for producing Microsoft's
    Xbox 360 CPUs on 90nm technology.

    http://www.digitimes.com/bits_chips/a20061225PD211.html

    ________________

    65nm Xbox 360 CPU refresh delayed until mid-2007?

    Posted Dec 26th 2006 1:29PM by Paul Miller
    Filed under: Gaming
    Bad news for those potential Xbox fanboys out there waiting for a
    cooler and less power-hungry Xbox before they spring for that nifty
    white box: DigiTimes is reporting that Microsoft's upcoming 65nm
    processors -- the current 360s are running those oh-so-2005 90nm chips
    -- have been delayed, and won't be making it off the production line
    until mid-2007, at least a quarter after current projections. Of
    course, the main source of noise on the box is really the disc drive,
    and we hope this doesn't mean Microsoft will hold off much longer on a
    price cut (no, not that price cut) but we really wouldn't mind a little
    bit of modern processor tech in this thing, so we'll hope Chartered
    Semiconductor Manufacturing, Microsoft's partner in chip-building
    crime, will pull through on this one and deliver those 65nm chips right
    on schedule.

    http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/26/65nm-xbox-360-cpu-refresh-delayed-until-mid-2007/

    ____________

    Microsoft Xbox 360 Console Cost Reduction Delayed - Rumour.
    Chartered Postpones Mass Production of 65nm Processor for Xbox 360

    Category: Multimedia

    by Anton Shilov

    [ 12/26/2006 | 10:12 AM ]

    Chartered Semiconductor, a leading contract semiconductor manufacturer,
    may postpone the beginning of mass production of central processing
    units (CPUs) for the Xbox 360 game console from Microsoft at thinner
    process technology. If the information is correct, Microsoft will be
    unable to decrease manufacturing cost of the console.

    Sources with knowledge of the matter reportedly revealed to DigiTimes
    web-site that Chartered plans to produce CPUs for Microsoft Xbox 360
    game console using 65nm fabrication process only in the middle of 2007,
    which is, at least, a quarter behind the original production schedule.

    Both Chartered and Microsoft announced in April, 2006, that the former
    will manufacture the 65nm version of Xbox 360 three-core microprocessor
    based on the PowerPC architecture in Q1 2007.

    Currently Chartered and IBM produce Xbox 360 microprocessors using 90nm
    fabrication process and while yields of the chip have increased greatly
    since the initiation of production, 65nm process technology would allow
    to further cut down the cost of the processor, which would provide
    further opportunities to reduce the cost of the console itself.

    According to iSuppli's most recent analysis, the premium version of
    the Xbox 360 game machine equipped with hard disk drive has a
    manufacturing and materials total of $323.30, based on an updated
    estimate using costs in the fourth quarter of 2006. This total is
    $75.70 less than the $399 suggested retail price of the Xbox 360. A
    year ago the total bill of materials (BOM) cost for the Xbox 360
    Premium, including hard disk, the DVD drive, enclosures, the Radio
    Frequency (RF) receiver board, power supply, wireless controller,
    cables, literature, and packaging, reached $525, well above the retail
    price of $399.

    Microsoft Xbox 360 console is based around triple-core microprocessor
    developed by IBM, high-definition visual processing unit designed by
    ATI Technologies featuring unified shader architecture, I/O controller
    engineered by SiS and some other key components. The gaming machine
    provides a broad set of multimedia capabilities, including
    high-definition movies and TV programs downloads in addition to games.
    Microsoft Xbox 360 core without hard drive is currently priced at $299,
    whereas the model featuring 20GB HDD and wireless controller has
    recommended price of $399 in Europe and the U.S. Microsoft also offers
    HD DVD add-on drive for the console for $199.

    Chartered and Microsoft did not comment on the news-story.

    http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/multimedia/display/20061226101150.html

    ______________

    Sources: 65nm Xbox 360 CPUs Delayed Until Mid-2007
    By: C├ęsar A. Berardini - "Cesar"
    Dec. 26th, 2006 8:33 am

    Industry sources have revealed to DigiTimes that plans to manufacture
    the Xbox 360 three-core CPU using a 65-nanometer manufacturing
    technology have been pushed back until the middle of 2007.

    Back in April, Microsoft signed an agreement with Chartered, one of the
    world's top dedicated semiconductor foundries, for the manufacturing of
    a 65-nanometer version of the Xbox 360 CPU using Silicon-on-Insulator
    (SOI) semiconductor technology. Production was expected to begin in the
    first quarter of 2007.

    http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/12487/Sources-65nm-Xbox-360-CPUs-Delayed-Until-Mid2007/

    AirRaid, Dec 26, 2006

  2. AirRaid

    Joe Seigh Guest

    > Bad news for those potential Xbox fanboys out there waiting for a
    > cooler and less power-hungry Xbox before they spring for that nifty

    "cooler and less power-hungry"? I doubt it. They'll just clock it
    up to improve performance, negating most of the energy savings they
    would have gotten otherwise.

    --
    Joe Seigh

    When you get lemons, you make lemonade.

    Joe Seigh, Dec 27, 2006
  3. In article <>,
    Joe Seigh <> wrote:

    >> Bad news for those potential Xbox fanboys out there waiting for a
    >> cooler and less power-hungry Xbox before they spring for that nifty

    >"cooler and less power-hungry"? I doubt it. They'll just clock it
    >up to improve performance, negating most of the energy savings they
    >would have gotten otherwise.

    I think that's unlikely; part of the joy of programming consoles is
    that the specification is completely fixed, things like clock speeds
    included. Sony went through several revisions of the Playstation 2,
    which started off as two large 180nm ASICs and is now a single 90nm,
    without changing clock speeds at all.

    Tom

    Thomas Womack, Dec 27, 2006
  4. AirRaid

    AirRaid Guest

    Joe Seigh wrote:
    > > Bad news for those potential Xbox fanboys out there waiting for a
    > > cooler and less power-hungry Xbox before they spring for that nifty

    > "cooler and less power-hungry"? I doubt it. They'll just clock it
    > up to improve performance, negating most of the energy savings they
    > would have gotten otherwise.
    >

    > --
    > Joe Seigh

    No they won't do that. The purpose of making the chip on a smaller
    process, shrinking it down, is to get the same performance but running
    cooler and using less electricity, getting higher yields / more chips
    that work / less defective chips / reducing cost of the CPU and thus
    the whole console, allowing for easier pricecuts to the MSRP. They
    won't even increase the performance because that's not what they do
    with consoles. every console as the same specifications.

    AirRaid, Dec 27, 2006
  5. AirRaid

    krw Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Joe Seigh wrote:
    > > > Bad news for those potential Xbox fanboys out there waiting for a
    > > > cooler and less power-hungry Xbox before they spring for that nifty

    > > "cooler and less power-hungry"? I doubt it. They'll just clock it
    > > up to improve performance, negating most of the energy savings they
    > > would have gotten otherwise.
    > >

    > > --
    > > Joe Seigh
    > >

    > No they won't do that. The purpose of making the chip on a smaller
    > process, shrinking it down, is to get the same performance but running
    > cooler and using less electricity, getting higher yields / more chips
    > that work / less defective chips / reducing cost of the CPU and thus
    > the whole console, allowing for easier pricecuts to the MSRP. They
    > won't even increase the performance because that's not what they do
    > with consoles. every console as the same specifications.

    That's old-think. Modern consoles (Nintendo excluded, by
    definition) aren't clock limited. Only an idiot would do timing
    loops these days.

    --
    Keith

    krw, Dec 28, 2006