WUAPILib

Discussion in 'Microsoft Dot NET' started by Guest, Aug 10, 2004.

    Hi,

    Not sure where this post belongs so please excuse me if it’s in the wrong
    group.

    I’m trying to use the WUAPILib.dll from Windows Update v5 with VB.NET. I
    can instantiate it locally fine but what I really need is to be able to do
    this remotely.

    My first thought was to use CreateObject:

    Dim wu As Object = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Searcher.1", "XP-TEST1")

    This always returns “ActiveX Cannot Create Objectâ€.

    It’s worth noting that the XP machine doesn’t have SP 2 on it, I’ve just
    upgraded WU to v5. This rules out any firewall or enhanced security
    configuration issues.

    I thought it may be a DCOM configuration issue but when I looked on the XP
    box, it looks like the WU library doesn’t support remote instantiation.
    Perhaps a way around this is to use WMI to instantiate the API locally but
    can WMI be used as a proxy?

    Any thoughts or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

    Flarepath Windows Update Analyser - download at http://www.flarepath.com

    Guest, Aug 10, 2004

  2. Glen,

    Can you provide more information with regard to what you want to do?

    That way I may be able to write some sample code etc for you.

    -David Herman

    David Herman .:MVP:., Aug 10, 2004

    David,

    Thanks for the reply. I need to be able to extract the update history from
    a WU v5 machine. As I said below, I can do it locally but I need to be able
    to do it remotely from a central machine. Previously, I could just parse the
    iuhist.xml file but v5 uses the JET database format (EDB).

    If you open up a new project and then add a reference to WUAPI 2.0 Type
    Library. The development machine needs to have WU v5 installed.

    Here is a quick sub to test the update history query:

    Private Sub updateSearcher()
    Try
    ' This will instantiate the api locally.
    Dim wu As New WUApiLib.UpdateSearcher

    ' This "should" instantiate it remotely
    ' Dim wu As Object = CreateObject("Microsoft.Update.Searcher.1",
    "XP-TEST1")

    wu.Online = True

    Dim i As Integer = wu.GetTotalHistoryCount

    Dim c As WUApiLib.IUpdateHistoryEntryCollection

    c = wu.QueryHistory(0, i)

    Dim e As WUApiLib.IUpdateHistoryEntry

    i = 1

    For Each e In c
    Console.WriteLine("Title: {0}", e.Title)
    Console.WriteLine("Operation: {0}", e.Operation.ToString)
    Console.WriteLine("Description: {0}", e.Description)
    Console.WriteLine("ResultCode: {0}", e.ResultCode.ToString)

    Console.WriteLine("ClientApplicationID: {0}",
    e.ClientApplicationID)
    Console.WriteLine("UpdateIdentity: {0}",
    e.UpdateIdentity.UpdateID)

    Console.WriteLine("------------------------------------------------------------------")

    If i > 5 Then
    Console.Write("Press enter to continue...")
    Console.ReadLine()
    Console.WriteLine()
    i = 1
    Else
    i += 1
    End If
    Next
    Catch ex As Exception
    Console.Write(ex.Message)
    End Try
    End Sub

    Perhaps there is an ODBC driver to read EDB files?

    Anyway, look forward to seeing if you can come up with something!

    Regards,

    Glen

    Guest, Aug 10, 2004
  4. I'm actually in the process of looking to write an app which does what you
    want with the added feature of removing existing record. I'll keep you
    posted.

    David Herman .:MVP:., Aug 11, 2004

    David,

    Look forward to it. Do you have any timescales?

    Thanks

    Glen

    Guest, Aug 11, 2004
  6. I want to get started and finish by the end of this weekend, i hope. May get
    the dev team in WU at MS to take a look too, to make sure its up to scratch.

    David Herman .:MVP:., Aug 11, 2004

    Hi David,

    Did you get anywhere with the code this weekend? Have you anything that I
    can play around with?

    Thanks

    Glen

    Guest, Aug 17, 2004