Would an 8800 fit?

Reaction score
I've got a K9N SLI mb, and i was wondering if an 8800 model Graphics card would fit.

Its not the ultra version just the standard, and it supports dual PCI-e.

Now obviously i would want to be certain it would fit before i invest in such a pricey piece of equipment, so does anyone know for for certain whether it would or not?

i'll measure the space i have got in there; see if it has at least 30cm of room for this thing.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
It will fit in any PCI-E mb, The question is, is your case big enough!? ;)

GTS or GTX? You CPU unfortunately will be a big bottleneck. Imo the GTX would be a waste of money.

The GTS is 24cm and the GTX is 27cm long IIRC.*

*Cheers Flops. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks V_R.

THIS is my case by the way. Do you know which way the bulk of the card will face? Will the longer bit go towards the rear of the case, or will it go toward the front (ie closer to the RAM etc)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The 'bulk of the card' as you put it will be pointing to the front of the case, Just like all cards do. :)

Which one are you thinking of?

More importantly, what PSU do you have? You gonna need a decent one to run an 8800, they are quite power hungry.

Found this pic after a quick Google, the GTX will fit, Just! So any other card will be fine. Although, its dont look like it would have much room to breath in there!

P1020934.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:
The GTS is 24" and the GTX is 27" long.

You sure? :confused:

I ain't never see'd one that big before :eek:

My GTS looks from here to be about 9 or 10" long ;)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
You sure? :confused:

I ain't never see'd one that big before :eek:

My GTS looks from here to be about 9 or 10" long ;)

Lol, opp's i mean cm....How silly do i feel right now....!! :blush:

I'll edit me post. :)

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply,

I was looking at the 8800 GTS series. Apparantly, at low resolution (ie 1280x1024), the 640mb and 320mb cards perfrom virtually the same...

I gotta Tagen 500W PSU.

Oh and i thought 27" was a little big ;). 27" is 68.6 cm which is about a 1/3 the height of me ;).

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
There isn't a massive difference tbh.

A couple of thing i have read regarding the two.

Firstly Stalker uses around 500mb of video RAM (Theres a plugin for RivaTuner to measure this, Not tried it myself..yet but i will.) So going by that the newer games are only gonna use more as graphics get better etc. May be worth considering?

DiRT, After you patch dirt the game will not let you run at ultra settings with the 320 version as it tells you that you dont have enough vid ram. This is a new feature of the patch, to stop you 'running the game above your pc spec' as codemasters put it. An example is that a mate has a smilier set up to me, E66, 2gb and 8800GTS 320mb. I can run it maxed with a few things forced in the CP, his wont let him, for the above reason.

No biggie if you dont mind turning down the eye candy, but its worth thinking about if your wanting to keep the card for a while.... :)

However saying that, they are both great cards, and a nice improvement over the 7950. :thumb:

Reaction score
Fair enough :D

Thanks V_R

Would there be some way to use my DDR2 RAM for the video RAM?
I wouldn't say I'm a graphics fanatic; I just want DX10 games to be playable.

Reaction score
THIS

is the version I want to go for; it seems a good compromise on cost versus performance.

It should fit; will I need an advancement over my Tagen 550W power supply?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
michael 118 said:
THIS

is the version I want to go for; it seems a good compromise on cost versus performance.
The XFX version of mine, Hope you dont have to RMA it to them. ;)

It should fit; will I need an advancement over my Tagen 550W power supply?
Doube it, should be fine.

Reaction score
V_R said:
The XFX version of mine, Hope you dont have to RMA it to them. ;)

Doube it, should be fine.

Why, what happened to your card? ;)

Okay brilliant, i'll order it when i get the chance :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nothing has happened to mine its all good mate, and i got UK BFG warranty if it goes wrong, non of this sending it Taiwan or where ever. ;)

Its just i have read a lot of bad press regarding XFX's RMA service is all.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I also have the BFG 8800GTS 640Mb with a good warranty deal. I've had two XFX cards die on me in the last five years, their build quality is cheap and I too have read bad stories about their rma service.

XFX went through a period of their fans failing thus causing card failure, which is what happed to one of mine, an FX5700 I think it was.

You have been warned :)

Reaction score
:eek: I never knew the XFX line were so....crummy.

I was hoping to get it from Novatech since i'm going down there later this week anyway; thanks for the selection you posted.

My other card before this one was a BFG and really was top notch, still going now i believe :thumb:.

Okay, i'll make a compromise ;)

THIS?

Ask a Question