[LEFT]if [ $# -lt 1 ]; then [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]    echo "No destination defined. Usage: $0 destination" >&2[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]    exit 1[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]elif [ $# -gt 1 ]; then[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]    echo "Too many arguments. Usage: $0 destination" >&2[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]    exit 1[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]fi[/LEFT]
        [LEFT]START=$(date +%s)[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]rsync -aAXv --exclude-from=/usr/local/sbin/exclude.txt /* /media/sdf2-ata-SAMSUNG_HD103SJ_/Archphew/ [/LEFT]
        [LEFT]FINISH=$(date +%s)[/LEFT]
    [LEFT]echo "total time: $(( ($FINISH-$START) / 60 )) minutes, $(( [/LEFT]
    [LEFT]($FINISH-$START) % 60 )) seconds"[/LEFT]
        [LEFT]touch /media/sdf2-ata-SAMSUNG_HD103SJ_/Archphew/"Backup from $(date '+%A, %d %B %Y, %T')"[/LEFT]

which excludes these,

/dev/*
/proc/*​
/sys/*​
/tmp/*​
/run/*​
/mnt/*​
/media/*​
/lost+found​
/home/*/.gvfs​
/var/lib/pacman/sync/*​
/home/*/.thumbnails/*​
/home/*/.cache/chromium/*​
/home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/Cache/*​
/home/*/dwhelper/*​
/home/*/Downloads/*​

which I run with this alias,

#alias phew="/home/b***********/Scripts/phew.sh /media/sdf2-ata-SAMSUNG_HD103SJ_/Archphew/"

Backs up all me important stuff pretty quickly.
I do a full disc clone with Clonezilla every now and again just in case I need to reinstall Arch sometime.

If your os uses systemd then there are some neat things you can do, which I have not tried out yet but are detailed in the Arch Wiki and should be applicable for most penguinistas.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Rsync

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Full_System_Backup_with_rsync

I do not back up Windows 7 as it is running in RAID O an I have not found a free program which will allow me to clone the setup. I guess I should at least do a backup of me Steam folder.
Maybe I will now that winter is just around the corner.

:lol:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Backup? After having been reduced to tears on more than one occasion backup is something I now take very seriously.

Main machine:

120Gb SSD for Win 7 64 Bit OS
1Gb Disk for data, photos etc
2Tb Disk for games
2Tb Disk for Backup

I use Acronis True Image 2011 to back up Win 7 to the backup disk. My Steam folder (989Gb) is regularly backed up to the backup disk and all of the data disk (Currently 458Gb) is also regularly backed up to the backup disk.

I figure this way I do at least have 2 of most everything, all backups done manually.

Media machine:

OS on WD Velicoraptor 74Gb
Media (Movies & Music) on 3Tb disk
Everything regularly backed up to internal 3Tb backup disk, using Acronis True Image 2011 for the OS

I did consider using just the two 3Tb disks in a RAID 1 config so backup is done automatically but feel more comfortable doing it manually.

Bedroom audio/video/linux machine:

A variety of HDD's with various OS's on them, a 2Tb disk for OS and file backup.

In addition I regularly burn photos and other data to BluRay blanks and also DVD's.

I have also never been able to find any software - free or paid for - that will successfully backup and restore a RAID 0 config OS.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Back ups done to a Western Digital 2TB external drive once a week and once a month I take it to my brothers house and back up the drive to his home server.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I don't backup, never lost a thing ... well, err, I have a thousand bits of paper on me cork board, mislaid a few of them. :D

But really, I don't 'save' important things on me PC, any 'important' emails and such are printed out. This place would burn for a week. :lol:

Games? I play MMOs, I don't need to save anything, they do it for me. My pictures are on Picasa & Flickr. :)

:user:

Reaction score
Most things I could lose apart from pictures and video clips from the past 6 or so years of my son. I would be completely devastated if I lost them all so;

8gb kingston pen drive for those (rapidly filling)

several copies on other drives and various machines including my servers down stairs
never actually got round to burning a blueray disc yet will probs wait until i have 25gb of data to put on the rewritable

Reaction score
Backup all important files to 750GB external HDD & to DVD_R discs.
Laptop back mostly to 16GB flash drive.

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I use a 500GB MyBook for family albums and important docs and files, also a 750GB 2.5" external HDD for Blu-rays, family albums etc etc..

Also use Copy cloud storage!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I have also never been able to find any software - free or paid for - that will successfully backup and restore a RAID 0 config OS.

http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx

I found this which has been recommended over at the other place I frequent. Will have a play with it later in the winter.
As far as I can tell the free version does seem to have RAID features. However I may be getting a large SSD for Windows 7 gaming so I may not need to investigate. :D

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, the need to back up a RAID 0 ended for me when I went from using a pair of WD 150Gb Velicoraptors to a single 120Gb Corsair SSD a coupla years ago.

The difference in speed between the two? Absolutely zilch in real workaday terms.

I think now that the faster speed SSD's have dropped in price I may invest soon in a 250Gb faster SSD. But not just yet, other needs/wants have greater priorities ;)

Look forward to hearing your findings with Macrium.

Ask a Question