worm

momtaz

My pc was infected with the worm 2/3 days ago along with
my laptop. I have ran patch on laptop and it solved the
problem, but I got error during running the patch on my
PC. Both laptop and PC has Windows XP.
The error is:
KB823980: Setup error: Setup could not verify the
integrity of the file update.inf. Make sure the
cryptographic service is running in this computer.
I would appreciate your help.
Thanks.
Momtaz

Mike Woolley

Try (re)installing XP SP1a from this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0136e5f8-1684-4202-
b2d0-c6a43430f12a&DisplayLang=en

if that doesn't work, try the following:

Click Start, then click Run
In the Run line, type in dcomcnfg and click OK
double click Services
locate the Cryptographic Services in the right window pane, then right
click on it and click Stop
Rename the C:\WINDOWS\System32\Catroot2 folder (just right click the Start
button and click Explore, then in the left window pane start at C and work
your way down the folder path, locate the Catroot2 folder, right click it,
click Rename, and type in Catroot2old, then press Enter)
Close Windows Explorer
click Start, then click Run
enter each following line one at a time, then click OK, you should get a
message that the operation succeeded, you have to do these one at a time:
regsvr32 softpub.dll
regsvr32 wintrust.dll
regsvr32 initpki.dll
regsvr32 dssenh.dll
regsvr32 rsaenh.dll
regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll
regsvr32 sccbase.dll
regsvr32 slbcsp.dll
regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll
When you're done with that, start the Cryptographic services again, then
run the patch, it should run ok this time.

hope this helps!

Mike