Works with one version, not the other, suggestions needed

tx12345

Hi

I wrote a series of files that crunch numbers. They all have macros,
and are very user friendly, that is (I found out) if you have Excel
2002, or higher.

For some reason there are, it seems 'differences' in Macros language
between the versions. I 'assumed' the files would work with Excel 97
and up, but the macros version bug (might be others) turned up on me.
Kinda makes smoke come out of my ears. All of the macros I have are
basic, and created by using the 'record macro' feature. How the
language could have changed that much (for a sort especially) seems
hard to comprehend.

I am not able to actually check where the bugs are and institute a fix
because I only have one version of Excel. I only have a screen shot
from a user that shows where the Macro got hung up ( a sorting
routine)

Is there any way to get these files working will all the versions? Is
there a way to fix the bugs without having to use the earlier
versions?

And btw, exactly what are the other versions of Excel prior to Excel
2002?

TIA!!

Jim Cone

t,
To help ensure compatibility, one should develop in the oldest
version of Excel that will be used. If that is not possible, then
acquire and use the help file from the oldest version.
A common problem with sort routines is that additional arguments
for the Sort method were added in recent versions of Excel.
Try removing "DataOption1" and see what happens.

Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"tx12345"
wrote in message
[...]

Dave Peterson

John Walkenbach has a brief history of excel at:
http://j-walk.com/ss/excel/index.htm

Most of the stuff written in xl2k+ will work with xl97. But each version of
excel offers something new (duh!).

The real solution would be to develop in the earliest version and test in all.

But xl2k added:

InStrRev
Round
Split
Join

(Others will chime in with the ones I'm missing!)

But xl2002 added an option in the sort routine: DataOption#. If you remove
that from the code, you'll be a step closer.

There was other stuff added (text to columns and data import wizard can fix
trailing minuses).

You may want to visit eBay and find a copy xl97. It should be pretty
inexpensive--probably much cheaper than the time you're gonna waste, er, spend
tracking down this kind of thing.

tx12345

Thanks for the ideas. I think once I fix the sort this will fix th
problem. I don't use any of the other new devices mentioned, but I'
like to keep this thread alive to see what else there might be.

Nonetheless, getting 97 is probably a great idea.

th

Dave Peterson

xl2k added monthname, too (I think???).