Working with XP and 98

G

I used 98 for awhile and decided to upgrade to XP. (Man, am I rethinking that one.) After the upgrade, everything was peachy until XP experienced some terrible problems which forced me to reformat (I am getting really good at that!). Now I can't install 98, not no-how. XP installs fine. I've even reformatted in FAT, installed Win3.11 (remember that one?), but I get an error message like "Can't read Boot Media" or with me?) when I try to reinstall 95 or 98. (Could it be because I've got all these upgrades goin' on?) I searched through all the tomes I could find about 98 and XP and found a tiny sidebar that stated that an OS needs its own partition, thank you very much. Soo ... I did that, with the results I just described. I thought the two other HDs that are formatted in NTFS (is that right? and no way am I going to reformat those puppies: invaluable data) were somehow cross-talking so I disconnected them. Still no 98. My C:\ drive is a 17 GB job and I've deleted all the partitions and reformatted in FAT and FAT32 with no success

Therefore, I am now throwing myself onto the mercy of some faceless, kind wizard. (What're female wizards called? or is "wizard" gender neutral?) There's gotta be a way to get my 'puter back to 98 and XP happily coexisting. Together. Again
HELP!!!

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

How do I install Windows 98/Me after I've installed XP?
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_repair_9x.htm

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--

| I used 98 for awhile and decided to upgrade to XP. (Man, am I rethinking that one.) After the upgrade,
everything was peachy until XP experienced some terrible problems which forced me to reformat (I am getting
really good at that!). Now I can't install 98, not no-how. XP installs fine. I've even reformatted in FAT,
installed Win3.11 (remember that one?), but I get an error message like "Can't read Boot Media" or with me?)
when I try to reinstall 95 or 98. (Could it be because I've got all these upgrades goin' on?) I searched
through all the tomes I could find about 98 and XP and found a tiny sidebar that stated that an OS needs its
own partition, thank you very much. Soo ... I did that, with the results I just described. I thought the two
other HDs that are formatted in NTFS (is that right? and no way am I going to reformat those puppies:
invaluable data) were somehow cross-talking so I disconnected them. Still no 98. My C:\ drive is a 17 GB job
and I've deleted all the partitions and reformatted in FAT and FAT32 with no success.
|
| Therefore, I am now throwing myself onto the mercy of some faceless, kind wizard. (What're female wizards
called? or is "wizard" gender neutral?) There's gotta be a way to get my 'puter back to 98 and XP happily
coexisting. Together. Again.
| HELP!!!

Ask a Question