Working with sports W-L records without Excel assuming I want dates...

Reaction score
I have a fairly long list of sports records that I want to paste into an Excel speadsheet. It is in the format of, say:
Yankees 7-2
Angels 6-3
Tiger 4-5

Where th team name would be in coilumn A and the W-L record would be in column B.

But when I paste it, Excel assumes it knows what I want morethan I do, so it tells me that I definitely don't want Column B to look like what it is supposed to look like. It tells me that I must want that data to represent dates. So, it would change the first row to be 7-Feb. (Now..we won't even get into the fact that NO ONE in the United States uses the d-mmm format when writing out a date..that is a separate issue.)

Nothing I have tried has gotten Excelt o just give me the data as I want it. I tried pasting as text, but it takes away the columns and puts it al together. I have tried paste special-values for Column B, but it still doesn't work. I have tried Format Cells for Column B, but still nothing works. Changing it to Number brings back the numeric equivalent of that date. (ie. the number of days between 1/1/1900 and 2/7/2011)

Basically, I want it to paste is as I see it. A WYSIWYG sort of thing. Or to paste Column B as if each cell started off with a '. I could then manipulate those cells with a MID function to create two columns that have the Wins and Losses separate and as numbers that can be added, sorted, etc. But nothing works.

It really is stupid that it not only defaults to something totally different than the data given, but doesn't even give a simple option to stop it. Any sports related spreadsheet will need this. Whether it be W-L records or scores. As long as the first number is less than 31 and the second is less than 12, it DEMANDS that I want a date.

Any way around this?

Ask a Question