Working at home?

Kye

Reaction score
hi,

Probably the wrong place too ask this, but im sure it will be moved too the right place.

how would a pc technician work at home? i can vaguely see how it works, but i just need clarification.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Wait for Mucks as he will most probably be able to answer your question, after all he is into PC Business and also works from home.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK, ok I get the hint ... but I don't work from home persê, although being a “one-man-show” I do take it home … I really do have a workshop.

To work from home as a PC Tech is really quite simple … get a job with one of the independent ‘servicing agencies’ … when you call out an HP service engineer because you have ‘on-site maintenance’ you will in fact actually get an area rep working from home who has been allocated a daily worksheet. The better companies will give you a ‘company car’ all kitted out for your needs. Some will even supply a fax machine, though a computer is preferable.

That’s one way … if on the other hand you wish to go down the self-employed route, forget it. You won’t make any money and believe me, its dam hard getting the work in.

Servicing agencies are always looking for people, check your local paper. It’s also worth checking out the job centre as they will also cover the surrounding districts. I live in Cardiff, South Glam, which would be my first ‘district’ of choice. However, Bristol is only 32miles away and an A-to-Z would do me fine to the next job.

Hope that was of some help.

I found the following and although its Americanised it fits to a tee

The following are tactics I use to make working at home actually work.

1. [*]Work first, play second:
    Having a flexible schedule is great but don't reward yourself with time off before your scheduled project work is done. Instead, if you know a day will be broken up by a family event, personal errands or some other nonwork-related task, compensate by starting earlier or working later in the days prior.

This will provide you with a stress-free experience and ensure you don't suddenly find yourself backlogged with unfinished project work. Few things are as liberating as a clean desk and an empty to-do list.

[*]Set boundaries for family interruptions:
    Our system: If my office door is shut, I'm not available unless it involves blood, fire or broken bones. If my door is partially open, it means, "it better be good." Asking whether friends from down the street can visit doesn't qualify. I'm accessible but working and would like to remain concentrated on the task at hand. If my door is open, I'm available.

[*]Schedule your workday:
    Sounds simple, but as with a "regular" job, work-related emergencies come up. In most cases, however, interruptions after the workday has ended can wait until tomorrow. Of course the problem plagues plenty of regular office workers, too. That's why you see people leaving the movie theater (or worse, not leaving) to take a phone call. I find it hard to believe that all those calls are really emergencies.

My day typically begins at 4:30 a.m. and I try to end it around 5 or 5:30 p.m. When the day is over, I leave my cell phone in the office. Unless, of course, we're going to the movies.
These steps don't work in every case but neither does working in the standard office environment. Even the most structured and well-planned day can be turned upside down by events beyond our control. So when I'm speaking with a prospective client and suddenly my office door bursts open with two children yelling the proverbial, "Did so. Did not. Did so. Did not. Dad!" I simply have to shrug my shoulders and laugh... after I hit the mute button.
:D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That quote sounds lke a very good ethos, I'm starting to realise how important a good schedule is now, and it makes so much difference allocating time to things (i.e projects, coursework,jobs in my case)

Are you thinking about working at home as a techy, Kye?

Kye

Reaction score
that was certainly the insight i was after! :)

at some point i will finish this techy course. i would rather work on contract then be employed full time for any company.
at least from the advice i was told. i have put my course on hold though, and i will contact muck about it soon.

Kye

Reaction score
That sounds better than the terrible temp office jobs im in since leaving uni in july. Are there any "servicing agencies" which operate nationwide and have a good reputation? Ive never seen anything like that advertised in my local papers. I would like a job where i could just be given problems people have and go round solving them during the day. Might even get a cape to wear while i do it!! ;-)

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm afraid computer 'engineers' are ten-a-penny, anyone with a basic knowledge in computers think they can 'do the job' ... it aint that easy. ;)

The likes of HP do not employ their own 'field' service engineers, its farmed out to a district agency, some are located in the main Cities like London ... as you work from home there is no need to pop-in to the local warehouse. A replacement printer is sent to you, you then deliver & collect the old one ... not much of an 'engineers' job, is it? I had such a 'person' call on me to replace my P1000, he had never seen one before and I had to show him ... god help us. :rolleyes:

If you’re not finding any posts in the local paper, try on-line.

:thumb:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Mucks,

After going through the posts here, you could also venture into part time employment agency of your own :D

Reaction score
Mucks, ive not actively been searching for these types of jobs, i worked as an engineer for years and it eventually bored me to tears, i just havn't seen them advertised while flicking thorough the employment pages. And you are right, there are far too many people that think they know what they are doing, they are the ones who ALWAYS end up in a computer shop with their tail between their legs!!

muckshifter

Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Mucks,

After going through the posts here, you could also venture into part time employment agency of your own :D
I have considered Teaching ... but I need to go on a 'teaching course' :rolleyes: ... I have a lot to learn and so little time.

:D

Ask a Question