Word Search

G

Hi - I recently began using FrontPage "shared borders" and an inserted table (within the shared border) in order to creat a universal link bar(s) on the index page that will be seen on all our web site pages. I found that when I installed the "page/site word search" it listed every page in the site because I have a link on the link bar with the same word/name. For example, we sell many various kinds of "lighthouse" related items. I put "lighthouses" on the shared border link bar and now if I type lighthouses into the word search all pages in the site come up because I have a universal link "lighthouses" on all pages through the shared border table. I have had to remove the word search. Is there a way that I can eliminate the shared border links area from the word search so that if someone types in the word (ie) lighthouse picutres or even lighthouses, the visitor won't see every page in the site listed? Thank you for your help, Chris

R

Rick Budde

Have your tried to use the Search component (Insert | Web
component | Web search instead of your "word search"
(whatever that is)?
-----Original Message-----
Hi - I recently began using FrontPage "shared borders"
and an inserted table (within the shared border) in order
to creat a universal link bar(s) on the index page that
will be seen on all our web site pages. I found that
when I installed the "page/site word search" it listed
every page in the site because I have a link on the link
bar with the same word/name. For example, we sell many
various kinds of "lighthouse" related items. I
put "lighthouses" on the shared border link bar and now
if I type lighthouses into the word search all pages in
the site come up because I have a universal
link "lighthouses" on all pages through the shared border
table. I have had to remove the word search. Is there a
way that I can eliminate the shared border links area
from the word search so that if someone types in the word
(ie) lighthouse picutres or even lighthouses, the visitor
won't see every page in the site listed? Thank you for
your help, Chris

T

Thomas A. Rowe

That is normal, since the share border become part of the page it is inserted into.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Chris said:
Hi - I recently began using FrontPage "shared borders" and an inserted table (within the shared
border) in order to creat a universal link bar(s) on the index page that will be seen on all our web
site pages. I found that when I installed the "page/site word search" it listed every page in the
site because I have a link on the link bar with the same word/name. For example, we sell many
various kinds of "lighthouse" related items. I put "lighthouses" on the shared border link bar and
now if I type lighthouses into the word search all pages in the site come up because I have a
universal link "lighthouses" on all pages through the shared border table. I have had to remove the
word search. Is there a way that I can eliminate the shared border links area from the word search
so that if someone types in the word (ie) lighthouse picutres or even lighthouses, the visitor won't
see every page in the site listed? Thank you for your help, Chris

G

Thanks so much for your answers! I do understand that it is normal. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the shared border area from the word search so that we can install a "word search" on our page for our customers that does not include the shared border area? Thanks again!

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Are you seeing the actual Shared Border files in your search results, which should not happen?

Otherwise there is not way to exclude the content contain in a shared border that appears on your
page from the search bot or any search for that matter, since the shared border is physically saved
as part of the page (it is implement as a table).

--
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Global Discount said:
Thanks so much for your answers! I do understand that it is normal. Does anyone know if there
is a way to eliminate the shared border area from the word search so that we can install a "word
search" on our page for our customers that does not include the shared border area? Thanks again!

S

Stefan B Rusynko

There are some JavaScript's to do word searches on pages,
But you would have to become very creative w/ the JavaScript to "exclude" the content of the share borders (since shared borders are
hard coded html in the browser page)
- you would have to parse the results to look for text strings of the shared border and exclude matches found in the results
- For a start see http://javascript.internet.com/messages/find-in-page.html

--

| Thanks so much for your answers! I do understand that it is normal. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the shared
border area from the word search so that we can install a "word search" on our page for our customers that does not include the
shared border area? Thanks again!

G

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR INSTRUCTION AND COMMENTS! It isn't necessarily what I wanted to hear but very informative :) Thanks again so much

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

There are some JavaScript's to do word searches on pages
But you would have to become very creative w/ the JavaScript to "exclude" the content of the share borders (since shared borders ar
hard coded html in the browser page
- you would have to parse the results to look for text strings of the shared border and exclude matches found in the result
- For a start see http://javascript.internet.com/messages/find-in-page.htm

--

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| Thanks so much for your answers! I do understand that it is normal. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the share
border area from the word search so that we can install a "word search" on our page for our customers that does not include th
shared border area? Thanks again

G

You may want to check http://www.atomz.co

----- Global Discount wrote: ----

THANK YOU ONE AND ALL FOR YOUR INSTRUCTION AND COMMENTS! It isn't necessarily what I wanted to hear but very informative :) Thanks again so much

----- Stefan B Rusynko wrote: ----

There are some JavaScript's to do word searches on pages
But you would have to become very creative w/ the JavaScript to "exclude" the content of the share borders (since shared borders ar
hard coded html in the browser page
- you would have to parse the results to look for text strings of the shared border and exclude matches found in the result
- For a start see http://javascript.internet.com/messages/find-in-page.htm

--

http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.as

| Thanks so much for your answers! I do understand that it is normal. Does anyone know if there is a way to eliminate the share
border area from the word search so that we can install a "word search" on our page for our customers that does not include th
shared border area? Thanks again

Ask a Question