Word Word help needed - Writing 'to the power of'

Reaction score
How do,

Now i'm no great mathematician of Word expert here but i need to write numbers which also have a 'to the power of' number after it. I know there's a proper name for what i'm describing but i have no idea what it is.

Say i need to write 2 to the power of 2. How do i get a little two to the right of the normal size number 2?

Hope that makes some sense!

Cheers

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i know what your trying to say you mean the indicies, im not sure if this will work on your version of word but

Alt and 0178 is squared

Alt and 0179 is cubed

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I didn't know about that way, I'll give that a try. I do:

Type, 2... then press CTRL+SHIFT+= ... then type 2.... then press CTRL+SHIFT+= again.

Reaction score
isn't that called standard form?

That makes writing binary on the computer so much more easier (sad i know, but have to do it in computing)

ala 1011 0011 = 48 + 3 = 51 ctrl shift = 10 (ASCII 3)

Reaction score
Me__2001 said:
i know what your trying to say you mean the indicies, im not sure if this will work on your version of word but

Alt and 0178 is squared

Alt and 0179 is cubed

It should work in any program that knows ASCII because 0178 is the ASCII value for that particular symbol - just like if you ALT + 51 you will see the number 3 (see my previous post)

Its all down to 1's and 0's ;)

Reaction score
Canes Venatici said:
Say i need to write 2 to the power of 2. How do i get a little two to the right of the normal size number 2?

In Word you can use superscript so the index or power can be any number you require. But it isn't an elegant solution!

Type the number 2 and leave the cursor at the right side of the typed 2. Go to Format | Font & select Superscript | OK and type another 2. This two will appear in the index position. Return to Format | Font & deselect Superscript | OK. Then press the spacebar & carry on typing. In the Font dialogue you will see options for subscript, strikethrough, font colours & other effects.

Reaction score
Canes Venatici said:
Rather long-winded compared to the above though.

I did tell you that it isn't elegant. I would describe it as clumsy but that's what you get in MS Word.

However you could record a macro, insert an option to select the index and assign the macro to a Toolbar button. It would depend on the frequency of the need to use it and whether a number of different indices were involved to justify creating the macro.

If the other solutions are adequate for your needs then AOK.

Ask a Question