Word Word formatting and editing

Reaction score
Hello experts!
Help. A job I need way over my head. How do I word edit features, how or should I turn off formatting so I can cut, paste, delete, insert at will and format later. I just want to write the revise the manuscript, concentrating on the writing itself w/o formatting getting in my way. Very new at this....terrified I can't do it. Fleur 316

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Fleur316!

I'm not sure if I follow what you're asking... could you give a little more detail please?

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum @Fleur316!

I'm not sure if I follow what you're asking... could you give a little more detail please?
Yes. I don't know how to use MS word edit features and I'm revising a piece that is formatted in word.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Where can I find the easiest directions to use your Word edit features? What view does the original formatted view need to be in to enabe that editing

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds like a beginners guide to Word might be useful for you so that you can familiarise yourself with the basics. Something like this maybe:

In terms of editing an existing document, my favourite tool is 'Format Painter'. Basically, it copies formatting and applies it where you want. Click on the 'Home' tab in the top left, and you will see the Format Painter button underneath. All you have to do is highlight the text which has the formatting you want, click the Format Painter button, and then highlight the text that you want to apply the formatting to. If you double click the Format Painter button instead of single click, then you can apply the copied formatting to multiple items rather than just once - you have to click the Format Painter button again to deactivate it once you're done.

What view does the original formatted view need to be in to enabe that editing

Does this mean you are not currently able to edit the document? ie is your access restricted in terms of what you can do?

Ask a Question