Won't boot all the way

G

Win XP Pro, not hardware or software changes. I get to the log on screen, enter my passwrod, it says "Loading personal settings and then goes to my screensaver screen but has no icons or tool bars. The screen is solid clouds. Windows task manager will run. I can boot in safe mode. What now? Thanks. Bill

G

In task mgr select new task,then type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When the graph starts,install xp cd,exit the info page.When the
graph is thru,remove cd,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:EXIT
Restart computer.

K

Kenny S

also in task mgr find any instances of explorer.exe running and terminate
them, then In task mgr select new task,then type: explorer and press enter

tell me if this helps

--
Hope this Helps, let us know!
Kenny S
www.computerboom.net
Freeware and more!

----
Andrew E said:
In task mgr select new task,then type:cmd In cmd type:
Sfc /Scannow When the graph starts,install xp cd,exit the info page.When the
graph is thru,remove cd,type:CHKDSK C: /F Agree to restart,then type:EXIT
Restart computer.
screen, enter my passwrod, it says "Loading personal settings and then goes
to my screensaver screen but has no icons or tool bars. The screen is solid
clouds. Windows task manager will run. I can boot in safe mode. What now?
Thanks. Bill

G

Dear Kenny,

Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest from the first guy who replied and that did not "seem" to help. I then followed your advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed explorer and enter as you suggested. Immediately, the task bar and icons appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much.,Bill

G

Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest from the first guy who replied and that did not "seem" to help. I then followed your advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed explorer and enter as you suggested. Immediately, the task bar and icons appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much., Bill

G

Dear Andrew,
Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest and that did not "seem" to help. I then followedthe other guy's advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed explorer and enter . Immediately, the task bar and icons appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much.,

G

Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest from the first guy who replied and that did not "seem" to help. I then followed your advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed explorer and enter as you suggested. Immediately, the task bar and icons appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much.,Bill

G

Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest and that did not "seem" to help. I then followed the other advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed explorer and enter as was suggested. Immediately, the task bar and icons appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff. Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much.,

K

Kenny S

Bill, ok I knew the problem would of course continue to bother you, but I
meant
to give you a way to try to fix the problem.

The problem is that EXPLOERE.EXE is not running correctly.
Although Explorer is not running I do think that the programs associated
with your printer ARE running
However they dont show up in the system TRAY (notification area) because
this is what happens
when explorer crashes...

Do you remember when this started? If you do try doing a system RESTORE back
to a time BEFORE it started happening
Go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>SYSTEM RESTORE

Try this and tell me what happens.

Another thing you can try doing is createing a NEW account

START>CONTROL PANEL>USER ACCONTS

Try logging into that account, it will probably work correctly.

Then you can migrate all your documents and settings to the new account and
delete the old one.

Unfortunatly there is no easy way to find the exact problem from far
away....

Repost here and I will try to help you, I will be monitoring this thread...

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.

---

Bill Rush said:
Dear Kenny,

Thanks so much for your help. First I tried the sfc/scan suggest from the
first guy who replied and that did not "seem" to help. I then followed your
advice and terminated the one explorer.exe that was running and typed
explorer and enter as you suggested. Immediately, the task bar and icons
appeared on screen and programs would run. The problem is that all the
start-up stuff was not running so I rebooted and unfortuneately, I got the
same screen saver only screen. Deleting explorer again got me the task bar
and icons, but my printer etc doesn't work without all the start-up stuff.
Any ideas on what to do next? Thanks. much.,Bill

G

Dear Kenny, Thanks again. 1) Adding a new user didn't help. Had exactly the same problem under the new user. 2) Guess what, there is no accessory section under START, All Programs. I have XP Pro at home and I see it there but it is not on my office PC. I resorted the programs and could not find it. I looked under add/remove programs and under windows components and added "accessories" and that made no difference, accessories were not listed under all programs so I couldn't try your second idea. Finally, I used my XP program disk and did a "upgrade" install. Once it finally booted at the end, I had icons and the tool bar but after rebooting, exactly the same old problem. Yikes! Any new ideas? I have brought the office PC home and will have it set up here and can network it with my home PC. I also did not say that XP is on the "D" drive. Win 98 is still on the C drive. The PC dual boots although I haven't booted to Win98 for a long time. Thanks. Bill

G

Further...its Friday am and my sick PC is home and connected to the internet. I installed Norston system 2003 because I wanted to update the virus definitions and run a virus check. Installation worked fine but after install Norton asked me to reboot which i did. When I try to run anti-virus I get a message that says I must reboot. Did it a second time and got the same message. I gather that something needs to run on start-up to tell Norton the reboot has happened and doesn't. Bill

K

Kenny S

To start SYSTEM RESTORE without the accessories go to
START> RUN and type this:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Restore\rstrui.exe
Press enter

Then try to go back to a point before this started happening.

You can contact me at
kenny@[nospam]computerboom.net

remove [nospam] to email me

--

Hope this helps. Let us know.

---

Bill Rush said:
Dear Kenny, Thanks again. 1) Adding a new user didn't help. Had exactly
the same problem under the new user. 2) Guess what, there is no accessory
section under START, All Programs. I have XP Pro at home and I see it there
but it is not on my office PC. I resorted the programs and could not find
it. I looked under add/remove programs and under windows components and