wmm crashes immediately

I upgraded my videocard from a Matrox g-400 to an Invidia Geforce 6600 card.
Since then, I am unable to successfully launch wmm. I consistently get a
"Windows Movie Maker has encountered a problem and needs to close" error.
exception Info:
Code 0xc0000005 Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000 Address 0x0000000060cbb2af
etc,etc....

I have a PIII 1.13gHz w/512 mb, 440watt ps, 2 150gig hds on 2 different ide
controllers. I have several other videocentric programs, including Vegas
4,DVD Architect 1.0, Muvee AutoProducer 4.1, WinDV 1.2.3, Bluff Titler, Ulead
Cool 3D 3.5, Title Deko, etc. The only impact is losing the ability to run
WMM, all other programs play nice with my new Video card. I have the latest
drivers.
I was told on another forum that this is a known issue with Geforce cards,
which suprises me becuse they are currently more mainstream than my former
Matrox board. Is there any info on what, short of giving up on WMM (no great
loss, but there are some useful affects and filters I will miss) or changing
back to my older Matrox card (which is MUCH slower in 3D, and does not have
T&L, and Ansiotropic filtering, etc.?) Any possibility of a patch to address
this issue?

Wojo

1st thing is to check NVIDIA for a driver update especially since they seem
to update their drivers constantly.
2nd thing is to try uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers.
3rd thing is to try using Windows Restore to go back to before you installed
the new card.
I have also heard this to be an issue with GeForce cards and NVIDIA drivers
have ALWAYS been an issue.
-Wojo

Thanks. Kinda what I was expecting. Guess when I get my next rig I'll try a
Radeon pci express.

Something else to consider ...
I'm experiencing a similar problem, and am convinced that it is being caused
by Muvee autoProducer, a program you mentioned being installed on your
machine. Both versions 4.1 and the 5.0 cause this issue in WMM when I
installed them. I've asked the developers and they are clueless, though they
admit the problem exists. This may not be the cause of you problem, but I
thought I'd throw it out there. No solutions, thus far.

Jayce

We are experiencing the same problem. However this is a newly bought laptop
with Media Centre Edition on an Intel Centrino system. This is my mom's
computer. She has recently installed InterVideo WinDVD and InterVideo WinDVD
Creator 2, as well as Picture Package, Pixela and two versions of Roxio. All
of this was an effort to get to be able to create videos on a DVD which she
had a problem doing. So now (I am not sure exactly when she dowloaded alll
these programs) she recently had a problem (last week) when she was using her
dvd drive to listen to music and working on creating videos in WMM her dvd
stopped working. She had it repaired and just got it back and now it has this
error message and crashes immediately. Should she uninstall all these other
programs? She got the laptop with XP already installed so does not have a
disc but does have a recovery disc.
Hope you can help. I know a little about computers but am not a super techie!

Monika (for Wilma)

Graham Hughes

Monika,
If it worked before going off to be repaired and now doesn't take it back to
who repaired it and tell them what is happening now and get them to make it
work again for you, it is most liely something they've done.

John Inzer

Monika said:
[...]

=============================
Some users have reported problems
after installing IE7. If this applies to your
situation ...uninstalling IE7 may be worth
a try.

(927177) How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177/en-us

--

John Inzer
MS Picture It! MVP

Digital Image
Highlights and FAQs
http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

Notice
This is not tech support
I am a volunteer

Solutions that work for
me may not work for you

Proceed at your own risk

RalfG

You can try this (note his example), it worked for me:

=======begin quote

To repair Windows Movie Maker

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
From: "Dean Rowe [MS]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:05:36 -0800

Subject: Re: Movie Maker always has to close

There's a component in Direct Show which caches the information about the
effects and transitions that are registered upon your system. Unfortunately
there's a bug in that component which causes it to crash if you have a lot
of transitions and effects installed. MovieMaker calls this routine on
startup which is probably why you're seeing MovieMaker crash.

Fortunately there is a workaround by doing something like the following.

1. Find an application which has registered a bunch of effect filters.
2. Rename the directory that the application is installed into to
something else - which will temporarily cause those effect filters to fail
to load.
3. Start MovieMaker. As less effects are successfully created,
MovieMaker should hopefully launch.
4. Rename the directory in step 2 back to it's original name so the
original application still works.
5. Start MovieMaker again. As everything was successfully cached in step
3 it shouldn't try to recache things so it should continue to work..

As an example of an application for step 1, I've seen people run into this
problem with applications installed from InterVideo. (This isn't a bug in
InterVideo's application - it's a Microsoft bug it's just that InterVideo
applications can install a bunch of DirectShow filters). In this case you
would go to your "C:\Program Files\InterVideo" directory and rename
"InterVideo" to something like "TempInterVideo". Then start MovieMaker. Once
it has launched, close it down and rename "TempInterVideo" back to
"InterVideo".

Good luck
Dean Rowe

=====end quote

Hi folks thanks for the tips.
I see this is a very common problem. I will try out these fixes when I go
see my mom this week. Hopefully they will come out with a bug fix soon.

Monika (for Wilma)

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
From: "Dean Rowe [MS]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:05:36 -0800

Monika said:
[...]

Thanks guys - anyways I am back at my mom's and have just tried the renaming
files as suggested in the earlier post. I renamed InterWin Video, her Sony
Picture Pkge, her Roxio however teh same problem just occurred.

I guess the next step is to try unistalling IE7 - forgive me if I seem dumb
but what to use if no IE7 - I have spent a bit of time looking for IE6 but no
luck - she does not wat me to uninstall IE& unless we have something to
replace it with.

Monika

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
From: "Dean Rowe [MS]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:05:36 -0800

:

Something else to consider ...
I'm experiencing a similar problem, and am convinced that it is being
caused
by Muvee autoProducer, a program you mentioned being installed on your
machine. Both versions 4.1 and the 5.0 cause this issue in WMM when I
installed them. I've asked the developers and they are clueless, though
they
admit the problem exists. This may not be the cause of you problem, but
thought I'd throw it out there. No solutions, thus far.

Jayce

:

Thanks. Kinda what I was expecting. Guess when I get my next rig I'll
try a
Radeon pci express.
--
Harry

:

[...]

address
this issue?

Hello folks, well I should have just kept looking a bit before posting as
there is of course several ways to restore IE6 - I also found teh renaming
the registry keys fairly interesting and will try that aif uninstalling IE7
does not work. Three was a good article on a codec problem that I found as
well so that will be the next place. Thanks for y'all being here so we can
troubleshoot our own problems! (or our mom's!)
Monika

Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.moviemaker
From: "Dean Rowe [MS]" <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:05:36 -0800

==================================
(927177) How to uninstall Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177/en-us

--
John Inzer
MS Picture It! -