WMI Duplicate ProcessorID Problem on Cloned Operating Systems

Discussion in 'Windows XP WMI' started by Andy Pandy, May 11, 2005.

  1. Andy Pandy

    Andy Pandy Guest

    Hi,

    I use WMI to read a machine 'fingerprint' for licensing purposes. I
    read Win32_Processor::processorID and Win32_BIOS::SerialNumber.

    One of my customers installs their operating systems (Windows XP) by
    disk cloning and then uses a utility to update the system with the
    correct XP product key.

    The problem is that on these cloned systems, WMI always returns the
    same BIOS Serial Number and CPU ProcessorID meaning my license works on
    all machines where it should only work on one.

    I assumed that this was because the WMI repository is only written at
    installation time and the cloning proceure had overwritten it so I just
    needed to get it to refresh the repository with the correct values from
    the hardware.

    However, even after deleting the Win32_BIOS and Win32_Processor classes
    (using 'wmic class win32_bios delete' and 'wmic class win32_processor
    delete') and then recreating the classes by running 'mofcomp
    c:\windows\system32\wbem\cimwi­n32.mof', the values are still
    identical on all their systems.

    Does anyone know how I can get WMI to reinitialise it's repository from
    the actual hardware or does WMI not actually read these from the
    hardware at all? I am sure that all the sytems do not actually have the
    same processor id although I don't really know how to verify this.

    Any help much appreciated.
    Thanks Andy.

    Andy Pandy, May 11, 2005

  2. The information is obtained dynamically from the Bios and Processor, it is
    not stored statically within the WMI repository.

    ProcessorID comes from SMBios structures, which can also be consumed by
    SMBios.exe can you verify that this executable returns the same information
    on both of the computers mentioned? If they are maybe it is a "cloning"
    problem.
    "SMBIOS|Type 4|Processor Information|Processor ID"

    --
    Scott McNairy
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Management Infrastructure

    Scott McNairy \(MVP\), May 17, 2005