With Vista if you Lose, you Win!!!!!

vista terminal ator

Here are some examples:

You buy vista and suddenly you discover that half your hardware is
incompatible and/or vista crawls on your hardware! What do you do? You go
out and buy new hardware, and you gift the old ones to friends family and
the community. All of a sudden because of vista you are a "great guy" and
everyone loves you.

You get a new computer with vista preinstalled, and with horror you discover
that vista has hundreds of bugs and is incompatible with your applications!
What do you do? You go out and buy a fresh copy of XP and install it! A
portion of that money goes from Bill Gates to charity. You are helping the
world!

Because you stay up late each night trying to find solutions for your vista
installation, your wife of girlfriend gets frustrated since you have
forgotten what sex is.. all you care about is finding the darn driver that
will make vista work. Your lady cheats on you and you find out! If you
didn't have vista you wouldn't have known that she was capable of such a
thing... after a while you meet a fine geek lady on the vista newsgroup. Yes
vista did its magic again...!

You want to install vista and have it running. But you run into thousands of
problems. In order to solve them you buy books and sign up for online
seminars.
In a few months you realize that you now know far more about computers just
because you had to make vista work! Vista made you work harder and grow!

These are only some examples on how vista is improving your life every
day.....

Next time you think vista sucks big time.. think again.. there may be a
hidden benefit in all that crap!

Bill Yanaire

There may be a hidden benefit -

And then you are driving to work, sitting in traffic when you realize that
this traffic sucks. Maybe I can do something about it. You go to the
library, study up on traffic patterns and the solutions to gridlock. You
then become an expert. You no longer need to worry about your PC because
you get a job in Los Angeles, New York, Dallas, Phoenix, or any other cities
with major traffic problems.

You then have a secretary who writes all your letters, reads e-mail,
responds to callers and all you have to do is sit at your desk collecting
your big fat salary that the city pays you.

You become agitated that you are feeling useless so you start drinking,
going to restrooms to meet Senators for sexual encounters, your life starts
to take a downward spiral, but you still don't need the computer because you
are drunk all the time.

Next time you are in traffic, be carefull. You might never need a computer
again. Who cares about Vista, XP, or even Ubuntu !

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"You buy vista and suddenly you discover..."
Simply return it, easy enough for retail and you live in North
America.

"You get a new computer with vista preinstalled..."
Similar as above.
Return the computer since reputable sources will have a reasonable
return policy.

Better yet, make sure when you are spending your $ that the product
you are getting will meet your needs.
A little research in advance is prudent and can go a long way to
preventing issues as you suggest..
This applies to all products, not just computers.

"Your lady cheats on you..."
NOTHING to do with Windows Vista and everything to do with the persons
character.

David

hehe! I like your thinking! (making lemonade out of lemons). I think
I've spent a lot more energy/time getting things to work ( i should say
TRYING to get things to work) in Vista than I ever spent with XP. I
don't recall having many issues with XP. If Vista is a harbinger of
things to come from Microsoft, I dunno if I'll ever want to have a PC
with the next gen OS from Redmond,. I don't think I'll have the time to
devote to such an undertaking. Vista is wearing me out. :)

Why can't MS make a Windows "Lite" version of their OS's? Something
that will boot in a couple seconds and allow the running of basic
applications and connect to the internet.

Dave

David

"Your lady cheats on you..."
NOTHING to do with Windows Vista and everything to do with the persons
character.
Good grief! He was illustrating how much time one spends dealing with
Vista issues. Methinks u need a sense of humor to get his point. LOL!
chill, man, chill!

Swingman

"vista terminal ator" <-> wrote in message

day.....

Next time you think vista sucks big time.. think again.. there may be a
hidden benefit in all that crap!

Yabbut, every silver lining has a cloud, or two. Your left index finger
ultimately gets inflamed from repeatedly pushing the hard reset button
during Vista lock ups and has to be amputated, causing you to lose your gig
with that Rock n' Roll band that just signed a big record deal.

Alan

Right,
Microsoft have this infuriating tendency to fix things that aren't broken.
A lot of the 'benefits' in Vista are just cosmetic crap.
Why has everything been moved to different places and called different names
to what it was in XP?
Why does the hard drive buzz away for two hours indexing things each time
you switch it on?
Is there really any benefit from all of this? Minimal in my opinion.
Alan.

Telstar

Alan said:
Right,
Microsoft have this infuriating tendency to fix things that aren't broken.
A lot of the 'benefits' in Vista are just cosmetic crap.
Why has everything been moved to different places and called different
names to what it was in XP?
Why does the hard drive buzz away for two hours indexing things each time
you switch it on?
Is there really any benefit from all of this? Minimal in my opinion.
Alan.

This is the real serious problem. The cost/benefit ratio is awful. Many of
the ideas are fine, but the cost (not only dollars but effort) in computing
ease and power is so above the benefit, the first thing people do is remove
stuff (indexing, so-called security asepcts). Someone in Microsoft needs to
take control and reverse this.

Communikator

Try to look at your "defragmented by Vista" drive with, let's say, Windows
2000's Defragmenter. You'll understand that the red lines that dominate the
image represent your defragmented files. And why we aren't shown any
imagistic progress of what's being done to our files while defragmenting,
also.

andyistic

Why can't MS make a Windows "Lite" version of their OS's? Something that
will boot in a couple seconds and allow the running of basic applications
and connect to the internet.

Dave

They already have - it's called Windows 3.1 (WFW 3.11 if you want
networking).
I can install it and load it into a RamDrive in under 10 seconds!
If that's not lite, I don't know what is.

-- Andy

theclyde

Better yet, make sure when you are spending your $ that the product
you are getting will meet your needs.
A little research in advance is prudent and can go a long way to
preventing issues as you suggest..
This applies to all products, not just computers.

How much onus can we really put on the consumer? I know there is some
responsibility, but really... I did not move to Vista during the pre-
retail alpha. I did not move to Vista for the first few months of the
retail beta. The magazines all seemed to say Vista is the next best
thing since sliced bread. The web is full of praise of Vista.
Manufacturers where shipping Vista with their toasters. Even here in
this forum... Vista works perfectly except in a handful of isolated
incidents - and those are the operators fault, not Vista.

Other than downloading and installing a pirate copy of Vista to try it
before they buy it, how much more prudent can a consumer be?

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"How much onus can we really put on the consumer?"
You need to remember whose computer it is.
For that reason the owner needs to verify before taking the time to upgrade.

You did not say anything about the suitability of your hardware for Windows
Vista, and the consumer need to verify that now just as they need if they
are changing an operating system to Windows XP.
The fact RTM was about 9 months ago is irrelevant since many hardware
manufacturers never update their drivers to meet their customers needs.

"Vista works perfectly except in a handful of isolated incidents..."
You must read different messages than me.
However problems are less for those that have verified compatibility of
their essential hardware and software before upgrading.
Lastly, why upgrade?