Wireless Linksys Connection Problem to Hot Spots

dpcribbs

Interrogative said:
"dpcribbs" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Maybe this is the right place to ask this, and maybe someone reading
this is the right person to ask...

After installing my Linksys PCI card (WPC54GS) in my Dell laptop
running Windows 2000, I was able to connect up to my wireless network
without a problem, and I was able to access the Internet through my
Linksys router (cable connection). BUT, although I could connect to
other networks/hot spots, I keep getting the error, "connected to
network, but the Internet cannot be found." Linksys Support advised
upgrading to XP, which I did, to no avail. I simply cannot get to
the
Internet on any wireless network but my own. Anyone had this
problem?
-

You are asking us how to illegally use other internet connections?
While it
is dead easy to do, it isn't legal and shouldn't be attempted unless
you are
with the owner of that connection and have their permission.

Not at all; I'm trying to figure out why I can't hook up to the
hotspots at the airport, the mall, Starbucks, and a hundred other
places. While I have tried to hook up to my neighbor's network as a
test (that failed), I haven't found it to be illegal (and I've asked).
But, regardless, I think I'm making progress. Talked to a guy today
that helped me figure out some stuff, so it may be a moot point...

Interrogative

dpcribbs said:
Not at all; I'm trying to figure out why I can't hook up to the
hotspots at the airport, the mall, Starbucks, and a hundred other
places. While I have tried to hook up to my neighbor's network as a
test (that failed), I haven't found it to be illegal (and I've asked).

If you attempt to hook up to Starbucks or whatever, you have to have
permission and have bought time off them unless they happen to allow free to
anyone Internet hookups. If you attempt to hook on to their internet and
they sell time, that would be why you cant, no doubt. Eg, they have it
properly locked down most likely. You can actually have wireless networking
set up so that it only works to a certain area and even though it DOES reach
further out than that, you cannot successfully hook on to it.
But, regardless, I think I'm making progress. Talked to a guy today
that helped me figure out some stuff, so it may be a moot point...

To hook into any wi-fi if you are moving from spot to spot, you are better
using auto IP and auto DNS etc. and no firewall but then in doing that, you
are risking your own computer.