Windows XP winxp install can't see hdd

Reaction score
I just bought an Acer TM4320 [intel Celeron M 540 1.8GHz] which will not load XP because it has a SATA HDD. I cannot find any driver which works for inclusion in an XP installation disk generated as iso image by nlite. Can anyone suggest suitable driver please? No support from Acer - be careful when buying Acer as it looks as though I may have an expensive and useless black box unless I can solve this problem!

Reaction score
Make sure the onboard SATA controller is turned on within the BIOS first that maybe why XP cannot see the drive upon install. The onboard controller needs to be turned on

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I rang Acer support with my problem and the young chap I spoke to was very helpful and I think he has given me the info I need to solve my problem . I found the phone number on this site ,

http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/tm_4320.html

happywave.gif

Reaction score
V kind of you to help - thanks - but Acer said they won't help with loading a different os! Even if bought from sales. So I shall probably have to go to a repairer. Thanks anyway + I hope you have better luck.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware the early versions of XP did not include SATA drivers . However the later versions of XP did , both the Home and Pro versions I have include SATA drivers and installing the OS is just a matter of running the cd . So maybe you could try a newer version of XP .
Acer laptops come with a hidden partition with their own recovery styff on it . The man I spoke to at Acer advised me to try this programe to wipe out all partitions including hidden ones .

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61951

You may find that it is cheaper to buy a new HDD for your laptop than paying a shop . You could always get a HDD external enclosure for your SATA drive and then you would have extra storage .

user.gif

Reaction score
Thanks again. I am interested to know that newer versions of xp have the drivers so that will be a possibility if all else fails. You and others may like to know that external eg usb drives will not solve this problem - and the new hdd drives have different connections which may not be compatible with most caddies. Also I have spent far too long trying various drivers via the nlite route without success. Finally Acer absoloutely refuse to help with problems caused by changing the supplied OS - amazing for customers who have bought new computers after being wrongly advised by their dealer. Thanks again for your time and trouble

Reaction score
Have you tried going to the manufacturer of the drive and seeing if they have drivers there?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
You should not need seperate SATA drivers for this, XP has all the drivers you need to get going - I see you are using an nlite slipstreamed version, have you tried just using the original XP disc?

Are you definately sure that this laptop has a SATA HD set-up, as I can't seem to find it in any of the specs....

Ask a Question