WinXP in a Win2K network - Trouble!

G

Anybody else having trouble with WinXp on a Win2k network? This is the second box (Dell, HP) where it seems WinXP doesn't play well with Win2K. I have no problems with Win2k, but XP takes forever to load, sometimes doesn't recognize domain users w/o a hard reboot, Add/remove programs doesn't work, system restore doesn't start, right click My Computer and select properties and nothing happens,... the list goes on and on. This on machines with WinXP loaded by the manufacturer. If it was one I might believe it was a lemon but two from different companies? It's gotta be WinXP.

R

Rob Elder, MVP

I manage several mixed networks with no problems. Are you XP clients
pointing to the DNS server that is hosting your AD namespace?

Anybody else having trouble with WinXp on a Win2k network? This is the
second box (Dell, HP) where it seems WinXP doesn't play well with Win2K. I
have no problems with Win2k, but XP takes forever to load, sometimes doesn't
recognize domain users w/o a hard reboot, Add/remove programs doesn't work,
system restore doesn't start, right click My Computer and select properties
and nothing happens,... the list goes on and on. This on machines with WinXP
loaded by the manufacturer. If it was one I might believe it was a lemon but
two from different companies? It's gotta be WinXP.

G

Rob,
Yes, all clients receive both their IP address and their DNS Server information from the DHCP server. I checked with ipconfig and both XP clients have the same (correct) information as the other Win2K clients that have no problems. The DNS servers are the Active Directory DNS servers (not the ISP's DNS servers). When I'm logged in directly to the machine (as administrator) they seem to behave fine. But when I'm logged in to the domain on these machines (as domain admin) that's when they seem to be very buggy. Any other ideas?
I'm just assuming it has something to do with the Win2K network because I can add a new Win2k box without ever having any problems. But this is the second WinXP box that has given me trouble. The way I see it, it really should be a "plug and play" process whether you're putting in Win2K or WinXP. Just follow the same instructions for joining the domain and inputting the TCP/IP network settings and away you go. Or am I missing something? Is that pretty much what you do in adding clients to your network?

Ask a Question