Winternals (sysinternals) bought by MS

Susan Bugher

hummingbird said:
OMG. Quick: grab copies of all the latest free unbloated versions of
sysinternals stuff that still work!

Pessimist. ;) OTOH maybe Vista will improve. . .

<q>
"It's definitely about talent," Platform and Services division architect
Jason Garms said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. "Mark is one of
the top five or 10 people in the world when it comes to Windows internals."

Garms said that Russinovich will be focused on helping Microsoft further
develop the Windows kernel in his role as technical fellow--the top
technical position at Microsoft with less than two dozen people holding
such title. Co-founder Cogswell will become a software architect in the
Windows Component Platform Team.
<q>

Susan (trying to look on the bright side)
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

spoon2001

Craig said:

From Sysinternals Blog:

So what's going to happen to Winternals and Sysinternals? Microsoft is still
evaluating the best way to leverage the many different technologies that
have been developed by Winternals. Some will find their ways into existing
Microsoft products or Windows itself and others will continue on as
Microsoft-branded products. As for Sysinternals, the site will remain for
the time being while Microsoft determines the best way to integrate it into
its own community efforts, and the tools will continue to be free to
download.

Personally, I remain committed to the Sysinternals and Windows IT pro
communities and so I'll continue to blog here, to write about Windows
technologies, and to speak at conferences. Until I know my Microsoft email
address and post it you can continue to contact me at (e-mail address removed).

I'm looking forward to making Windows an even better platform for all of us!

fathom

OMG. Quick: grab copies of all the latest free unbloated
versions of sysinternals stuff that still work!

Seriously. I predict that many of the utilities that reveal the
inner workings of Windows will disappear. Sysinternals has at
times been a thorn in the side of MS.

Since many of these programs are very small, perhaps
Pricelessware could offer a single ZIP file of the whole shebang
(or separate ZIP files for each category of utility, like
Security, Netowrking, Processes & Threads, etc.

Susan Bugher

fathom said:
Since many of these programs are very small, perhaps
Pricelessware could offer a single ZIP file of the whole shebang
(or separate ZIP files for each category of utility, like
Security, Netowrking, Processes & Threads, etc.

You need to have a written agreement to legally redistribute
Sysinternal's files. Restating the obvious: the alt.comp.freeware
newsgroup cannot make legal agreements. . . IOW there's no chance of
that happening.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Susan Bugher
You need to have a written agreement to legally redistribute
Sysinternal's files. Restating the obvious: the alt.comp.freeware
newsgroup cannot make legal agreements. . . IOW there's no chance of
that happening.

While true... I CAN mirror them. I'll work on getting an appropriate
agreement in place, naturally, before the mirror goes public.

Craig

DevilsPGD said:
While true... I CAN mirror them. I'll work on getting an appropriate
agreement in place, naturally, before the mirror goes public.
I guess it goes w/o saying: Let us know!

-Craig

george1234

Sadly reminds me of what happened when Peter Norton was bought-out by Symantec,
way-back-when.

IIRC, that was back when Norton utilities turned into a weed,
impossible to eradicate from your computer

Vrodok the Piglet lover

Once Upon A Time (on or around Tue, 18 Jul 2006 16:27:56 -0400), in
by way of Message-iD said:
IIRC, that was back when Norton utilities turned into a weed,
impossible to eradicate from your computer

Slightly before NU3 (which was for the MacOS only?) went public, is when
"Norton" began sliding into the bottom-most pit of He** (heck <g>), as I
recall. Around late 1996?

schrodinger's cat

...OTOH maybe Vista will improve. . .

Susan (trying to look on the bright side)

Yeah, and just wait until Mark shows them how to *really* build an
undetectable rootkit!

hummingbird

Pessimist. ;) OTOH maybe Vista will improve. . .

Not without good reason.
As for Vista ...it's still from the same stable :-(
<q>
"It's definitely about talent," Platform and Services division architect
Jason Garms said in a telephone interview on Tuesday. "Mark is one of
the top five or 10 people in the world when it comes to Windows internals."

Garms said that Russinovich will be focused on helping Microsoft further
develop the Windows kernel in his role as technical fellow--the top
technical position at Microsoft with less than two dozen people holding
such title. Co-founder Cogswell will become a software architect in the
Windows Component Platform Team.
<q>

Sure, Mark is a real whizzo guy but once MS get their hands on him,
business pressures take precedence over innovation. My guess is that
all they really want is to suck his brain out.
Same thing happened to Zimmerman (PGP) when he got swallowed up.
Susan (trying to look on the bright side)

I'll try just for you ;-) Problem is I spent too long at IBM :)

hummingbird

Seriously. I predict that many of the utilities that reveal the
inner workings of Windows will disappear. Sysinternals has at
times been a thorn in the side of MS.

I think you may be very right about that.
My guess is that they want to suck his skills dry and eventually make
life difficult so he goes off and does summat else.
Zimmerman and PGP take-two.

Since many of these programs are very small, perhaps
Pricelessware could offer a single ZIP file of the whole shebang
(or separate ZIP files for each category of utility, like
Security, Netowrking, Processes & Threads, etc.

A zip with all the latest sysinternals utils would be truly priceless.

hummingbird

Have to wait, but I'm afraid that's the end of a whole lot of
unbelievable good freeware...

Duh!
Thinking about it a little more, it is just possible that some of
Mark's tools and skills will be used to make Windows a better product.

You could maybe see it as MS finally coming to terms with needing
outside help from an expert to raise the quality of their product.

schrodinger's cat

Sadly reminds me of what happened when Peter Norton was bought-out by Symantec,
way-back-when.

*sigh* ......

Your analogy is indeed apt. Like Sysinternals, Peter Norton produced
beautifully written and indispensable little programs which could fit on
a few floppy disks. I still remember using Norton Disk Doctor under DOS
to salvage a hard drive whose partition table had been scrambled by an
early version of Partition Magic. A far cry from the massively bloated
and intrusive Norton SystemWorks of today.

Al Klein

You could maybe see it as MS finally coming to terms with needing
outside help from an expert to raise the quality of their product.

Or keeping an expert from pointing out the problems with their
sorely-lacking-in-quality product.