Windows XP Welcome Screen

Douglas

Help!,

I am trying to enable the Windows XP welcome screen. I have tried
using Tweak UI and under the "Logon" tab, unchecked the box next to
"Logon automatically at system startup". I have also deleted the
following strings in the registry: "AutoAdminLogon",
"DefaultDomainName", "DefaultPassword", "DefaultUserName".
I am not a part of a domain, so I don't know if DefaultDomainName is
needed.

After I deleted all the strings in the registry, I shut down my
computer, restart and get the welcome screen but then if I reboot
again, I don't get the "welcome screen" and the computer just boots up
and bypasses the welcome screen and automatically adds the strings that

I removed from the registry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Gerry Cornell

Douglas did you backup your Registry or export the registry keys
before applying the chainsaw?

Where did you get the information that prompted you to try changing
the Registry?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

thecreator

Hi Douglas,

As you are booting up the computer, start tapping F8 and choose the last
Configuration that worked. Once you are at the desktop, use your Browser and
go to http://www.tune-up.com and download a trial copy of TuneUp Utilities
2007. This program has everytrhing you need to fix your computer.

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Hi Douglas,

This is normal if you have only one user account in the system, and it's not password protected. Is this the case in your system? If so, assigning a password should prevent automatic logon.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Microsoft MVP [Windows XP Shell/User]
Windows® XP Troubleshooting http://www.winhelponline.com

Help!,

I am trying to enable the Windows XP welcome screen. I have tried
using Tweak UI and under the "Logon" tab, unchecked the box next to
"Logon automatically at system startup". I have also deleted the
following strings in the registry: "AutoAdminLogon",
"DefaultDomainName", "DefaultPassword", "DefaultUserName".
I am not a part of a domain, so I don't know if DefaultDomainName is
needed.

After I deleted all the strings in the registry, I shut down my
computer, restart and get the welcome screen but then if I reboot
again, I don't get the "welcome screen" and the computer just boots up
and bypasses the welcome screen and automatically adds the strings that

I removed from the registry.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Douglas

Gerry,

No, I didn't back up the registry. All I did was go into regedit,
deleted the keys, and exited regedit.

Douglas

Ramesh,

My computer has three user accounts (all administrator) and none of
them have passwords. Should I assign a password to one of them?

Gerry Cornell

Douglas

Where did you get the information that prompted you to try changing
the Registry?

What exactly do you mean by "I am trying to enable the Windows XP
welcome screen." What isn't happening that you are expecting to
happen?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Douglas

I didn't get the information to try changing the registry in one
particular place. I just figured out what each of the keys that I
removed did and removed them.

What I mean by "trying to enable the Windows XP welcome screen" is that
I want to be able to turn on my computer and have the "Welcome screen"
show each of the three users that I have setup on my computer and then
pick any of the three users and have the ability for each user to have
their own setttings.

Hope this clarifys things.

Gerry Cornell

See if this suggestion from Bert Kinney gives you pointers to the
solution:

From: Bert Kinney - view profile
Date: Tues, Sep 19 2006 6:38 pm
Email: "Bert Kinney" <[email protected]>
Groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
Not yet ratedRating:
show options
original | Report Abuse | Find messages by this author

Hi,

At the welcome screen do a Ctrl+alt+del twice.
This will bring up the "Log On to Windows" box.
Type in administrator as the User Name, leave the Password blank and
press
enter unless you know there is one, then enter it.

Bert Kinney MS-MVP Shell/User
http://bertk.mvps.org
Member: http://dts-l.org

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Douglas,

Are the other two users accounts hidden from the Welcome Screen? Anyway, you can try one of the methods listed here to disable automatic logon:

Cancel (Disable) Automatic logon in Windows XP:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/noautologon.htm