David H. Lipman

From: <[email protected]>

| Should be simple emough to double-click on a .reg file and have it
| merge with the registry right?
|
| Didn't work even when the user was a member of the Administrators
| group. What could cause this? I read that using the "Import registry
| file" in regedit is the prefered way. is this correct or is there
| greater things going bad here?
|
| Also I can't "Paste Shortcut" in my Startup directory though I can
| "Paste Shortcut" on the Desktop. Curious.
|
| Thx
|
| -Wes Yates

What was the error message ?

Alan Edwards

1. What happens when you try?
2. What happens if you right-click and select Merge?
3. '"Import registry file" in Regedit is the preferred way' - for
what?
4. Where did you get the .reg file and what is it for?

....Alan

gmac63

No error. In fact, it says that (para) that the merge was successful.
When I look at the registry in regedit, the key isn't there/

BTW - MyComputer\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is
where I need this key to be. didn't mention this before.

Thx

gmac63

4. Alan Edwards
Jan 3, 10:54 pm show options
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support
From: Alan Edwards <[email protected]> - Find messages by this
author
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 14:54:15 +1100
Subject: Re: Windows XP SP2 won't merge .reg file
original | Report Abuse

1. What happens when you try?
2. What happens if you right-click and select Merge?
3. '"Import registry file" in Regedit is the preferred way' - for
what?
4. Where did you get the .reg file and what is it for?

....Alan

1. Try what specifically?
2. Either way, same result: Nothing is really added to the Registry
3. '"Import registry file" - Self explanitory
4. Its a key I need to have put in. Doesn't matter what its for, just
that it or any other .reg file is not merging.
5. Any more questions or do we have a solution?

David H. Lipman

From: <[email protected]>

| No error. In fact, it says that (para) that the merge was successful.
| When I look at the registry in regedit, the key isn't there/
|
| BTW - MyComputer\HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run is
| where I need this key to be. didn't mention this before.
|
| Thx

Please Copy and Paste the contents of the .REG file in your reply...

gmac63

SOLUTION:

I had to turn off Webroot SpySweeper to merge this file. Else it didn't
work.

Check virus and realtime protection if you have the same problem.

-Wes