Windows XP SP2 shutdown on startup after connecting external modem

Reaction score
I am running Windows XP Professional SP2.

I wanted to install my external dial-up modem. So I connected my dlink modem (DFM-560E) to com1 (serial) port and started XP. XP starts up fine but immediately shuts down without any error or warning.
If I remove the modem from com1 (serial) port, XP works fine.

Any one else had similar kinda problems???

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
smartfool said:
I am running Windows XP Professional SP2.

I wanted to install my external dial-up modem. So I connected my dlink modem (DFM-560E) to com1 (serial) port and started XP. XP starts up fine but immediately shuts down without any error or warning.
If I remove the modem from com1 (serial) port, XP works fine.

Any one else had similar kinda problems???
External Serial Modems and Windows like to use COM 2 ... try it and see.

:thumb:

muckshifter

Reaction score
smartfool said:
I don't have an com2 port in my PC. I only have a com1 port.
I was afraid you were going to say that ... you'll have to reconfigure the port in the BIOS ... if your unsure how, an easy solution is to replace modem with a USB one.

muckshifter

Reaction score
smartfool said:
can you tell me how to reconfigure the port in the BIOS ?
That is possible, but, may take a week to accomplish. Too many different BIOS's none are the same. It would be a 30sec job if I had the PC in front of me.

Even with a USB modem (and I don't like USB modems) there is still a chance it may not work correctly.

Reaction score
Can you please let me know the steps to do this? I would like to try.

mine is an Intel 915GV chipset motherboard which I just bought recently.

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ok, but be warned, if you are unsure what you did “exit without saving” and try again. I can take no responsibility for any screw ups. :D

To enter the BIOS you need to restart your PC and press the “DEL” key while it is rebooting ... not all PCs use the DEL key AND you may have to keep taping it 3-4 time to get it to 'hear' you ... when you hear the PC beep, is usually a good time to hit the DEL key.

Look for this section in the BIOS ... Set Integrated Peripherals Settings ... that may not be the exact title on your BIOS, but should be similar.

Look for;
Integrated Serial Port 1 (COM1): You will normally want this enabled, and the standard resource setting is IRQ #4, with I/O address 3F8h.

This is what we are going to change and below is the what we need to change it to. Write these settings down on a bit of paper, so you can always change them back if needed.

Integrated Serial Port 2 (COM2): The standard resource setting is IRQ #3, with I/O address 2F8h. Take these settings and change COM1 to match and then Disable COM2

There is no guarantee that this will work. ;)

Reaction score
Many thanks for the help muckshifter. I got iy working.

Here's what I did.

I went into BIOS and changed the serial port address to 2f8 and IRQ to 3.
Then I went into XP Safe Mode and changed the port name from com1 to com2 and restarted XP.
After restart, XP detected my modem and installed driver automatically.

Ask a Question