Windows XP Pro SP2 Install on SATA HDD

Reaction score
Hey All,
Following my last post, I decided to format my HDD and install a fresh copy of Windows XP on it. I tried doing it by booting from CD but it asked for SATA drivers, I then went onto the msi website and downloaded raid/sata drivers for ms-6741 (my mobo). Followed instructions (copy makedisk files to floppy and use when prompted in xp installation). I did this and I got a prompt saying that viaraid.sys could not be found... but they managed to load up on the first prompt when asking for the files. I tried this using numerous floppies but no luck. What can I do? Please Help!
Cheers!
Sunny

P.S My hard drive model no is: Seagate Barracuda ST3200822AS.

Reaction score
You say you went to the website to get them

Download them to the harddrive of the machine you used in the first place in a safe place (disk or whatever)

Carry on with Xp installation. ignore driver installation until xp is fully installed then copy over either via disk or network the driver from the first machine to the root directory of your new installation

Got to control panel device settings and update drivers by browsing your root directory

Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool...Im gna give it a shot! lets hope it works!
Wil update as soon as im done!
Cheers!
Sunny

Reaction score
Just got stopped on my tracks :(
I ignored the driver requests from setup, it copied files to the HDD and restarted. As soon as it restarted a BSOD showed up!! It said that there was a problem with your computer, check HDD is installed and configured. Run chkdsk /f. The exact error code was: 0x00000007b (0xf79f7528, 0xc0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000).
PLEASE HELP!!!
cheers!
Sunny

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Try it one more time using a Full Format on the hard drive using NTFS file format - it's worth a shot as it might be a one-off error.

Reaction score
Thanks Ian, Im gona give your suggestion a try now (fingers crossed!). Just in the last hour I managed to check my memory (using memcheck) and noticed that 1 of my 2 512mb ddr modules had errors. As a tempoary solution, i just left the working one plugged in at the moment. I also tried doing a full format using NTFS but the same problem occured. Therfore, im assuming the problem is lying with the hard disk config.
Will keep you guys updated!
Cheers!
Sunny

Ask a Question