Windows XP + nvidia Geforce 2 + Games = Problems

Nassim Bouayad-Agha

Hi,
Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
nothing.

For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
directory,as ever : nothing.

I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

Thank you for your support.

Bouayad-agha Nassim.

Martin Eriksson

Nassim Bouayad-Agha said:
Hi,
Duke : Where are the files that you posted?I've checked
ALT.BINARIES.MISC,but I've not found your message.

JB West : I've also tryed detonators version 44.03 (the lastest) but
nothing.

For opengl32.dll, I've downloaded the opengl95.exe file from
openGl.org then placed the uncompressed DLLs in my windows/system32
directory,as ever : nothing.

I noticed something wrong,I've downloaded SciTech GLDirect software
that normally allows OpenGl display using DirectX,but it didn't worked
also...I use DirectX 9.0 and it works normally(according to dxdiag).

I recommend you uninstall everything opengl you have installed. You might
even want to reinstall Windows XP from scratch.

The only things you need for OpenGL support in Windows XP and with a GeForce
card are (verified on my wife's computer):
* Windows XP (preferably with SP1)
* nVidia drivers (12.41 is good for your card, but I bet 41.09 and 44.xx
also works nice)

And nothing else. With your system you don't need any motherboard drivers
either.

If any game is causing you trouble from now on, it's the game's fault and
not the drivers/os/hardware. See another thread mentioning removing a config
file in Quake3-engine-based games.

/M

Nassim Bouayad-Agha

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?
Thanks in advance.
Bouayad-agha Nassim.

Martin Eriksson

Nassim Bouayad-Agha said:
Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Hmm.. The last thing I can think of is that you search your hard drives and
remove ANY opengl32.dll file except the one in "C:\WINDOWS\System32".

Also check that this opengl32.dll (in system32) is produced by Microsoft
(right-click and select "properties" then "version")

/M

Dan C

Hi again!
I've lunched sfc, to put back good open gl files, it restored the
original ones,then, I've installed detonators 23.11.Games works, but
very bad!I've installed the detonnators 44.03,same result : flickers
while i'm playing!
Another exemple, when I lunch Soldier of Fortune 2, and I go into
options menu : card is set to GDI mode(No hardware
acceleration),and,when I try to change that setting,I can't,so it
seems that there is an open gl problem.How must I do?Must I back to
win98?

Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

Martin Eriksson

Dan C said:
Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

Ah yes... but when I tried, all those "things" that were working, didn't
appeal to me =D

xeno

Dan C couldn't help but write:
Sounds like things are hosed. You may want to delete Windows and install
Linux. Things will work then.

TBH Linux is not (yet, hopefully) an option for gamers. While a lot of the
q3 based FPS's have native versions for linux, most other games dont. So if
the only purpose for you having a PC is running latest games on it, stay
with windows (btw, ppl installing win95 drivers on XP would be totally lost
;)).

greetings
xeno (who can finally run tmpgenc using winex3 8))

Alex Mizrahi

Hello, Nassim!
You wrote on 26 Jun 2003 02:05:01 -0700:

NBA> I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
NBA> understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX
NBA> support but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...

that's just some mysterious corruption of settings or some files, i think..

NBA> I've no idea on how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append
NBA> with Win98...So,maybe I've got tree choices :
NBA> -Back to 98 :)
NBA> -Change my video card (And I'm not sure that I'm not going to have
NBA> problems)...
NBA> -Find a solution(That seems to be hard).

the solution that will work almost for sure - kompletely kill winxp and
reinstall it from scratch, then install drivers.
(btw, are you sure you have _nVIDIA_ GeForce? other vendors can have some
incompatible drivers, i've heard ASUS has some problems with it)..

NBA> I think that we can set a sort of FAQ about that problem because
NBA> lots of people have it, and, most of newsgroups posts say same
NBA> things...

With best regards, Alex Mizrahi aka killer_storm.

Martin Eriksson

Nassim Bouayad-Agha said:
Hi again!
I've checked OpenGl32.dll version and it's correct...I can't
understand why Windows XP works as bad...They provide DirectX support
but they want to kill openGl , it's completly stupid...

Not really. DirectX is theirs, OpenGL is not. It's all about money you
know...
I've no idea on
how to avoid that flickers problem.It never append with

What do you mean with "flickers problem"? Does the screen refresh in 60 Hz
instead of the rate you set it when on the desktop? In that case it's a
common nVidia problem and can be solved only by third-part utilities AFAIK.
RivaTuner is a good utility, but it takes some time to learn. To solve the
problem, you force the driver not to go under a certain refresh rate at any
time.

If you mean that the "flickering" is lack of vertical sync, ie you see a
"tearing" across the screen, you can force this again with RivaTuner. The
setting is under OpenGL and is called VSYNC.

Btw, there is a FAQ, although probably quite old since it's mainly for GF2
cards:

http://go.to/geforcefaq

/M

Top