Windows XP Windows XP login error

Reaction score
Okay so the problem is that when you try to log on there is a 'Windows Product Activation' pop up that says: "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x8007007e"

Now leading up to this error, I was trying to network two computers together, both are running Windows XP Pro... so I ran the router CD, it's just a Linksys router... went into the Networking wizard, and added a network place, *now* I changed the computer description, the computer name, and the work group... and then it said to reboot for the changes, rebooted and that was when the error started to show up.

I tried restoring to a previous checkpoint which changed back above networking changes I made but I still get that error...

So I've been through multiple onlilne forums etc, many of the fixes are relating to the windows update not working, and I've reregisterd I don't know how many .dll files, I can only log into the computer using safe mode command prompt, which I am slowly learning how to do more things in... One suggestion that haven't figure out how to do yet is reinstall the msxml parser from the command prompt.

I don't want to do a new installation if at all possible because there are files that I need to burn to DVD, and the DVD burner is on the other machine...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Ask a Question