Windows XP crash

G

My daughter booted up her computer that runs xp and got a password screen. She had never gotten a password screen before and panicked. Once she got through the password screen (I am not sure how) all she saw was a blank blue screen. She called the help desk of the large online pc vendor (who shall go un-named) from whom she had bought the machine. The help desk technician after some time on the phone told her that Windows had crashed and she would have to ghost the machine and reload the operating system and all the software. Is this diagnosis possible or is my daughter really dealing with a simple password problem? Any clues on what the problem could be? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

R

Rob Schneider

Just yesterday, I had a device driver problem on my laptop.
Blue-screened after the id/password login. I re-booted and pressed F8
to get the Windows boot option menu. From there, I chose to use System
Restore restored from a previous "checkpoint" that I know was good.
Worked flawlessly and machine back in business. Perhaps your daughter
could do same. I'm assuming that she hasn't defeated the automatic
system restores.

I don't know the device drive problem at the root-cause of this, but
the problem has disappeared and I'm on to other things.

Hope this is useful to you. Let us know.

rms

G

Thanks for the suggestions. However, the D-ll technician had already run my daughter through the possible fixes you suggested with no luck. She ultimately decided to bite the bullet, ghosting her hard drive and reintalling everything. A 2 hour plus ordeal even with the help of an engineering student. For your information, I think her problem originated with a printer driver. Have a happy holiday.

Ask a Question