Windows XP Windows XP Connection to Broadband

Reaction score
I replaced my computer hard drive with a hard drive of greater capacity. I did a fresh install of Windows XP Home. The new installation went well but now I can't get the computer to connect Comcast cable.The cable modem and router work ok when connected to the original HDD. When I try to install the cable modem software CD things go well until it tries to detect a connection to the computer. Can't get any farther than this point. So, I think the problem is something is disabled or turned off in the new Windows XP installation.
I tried the following:
Control Panel
Network Connection
Under Broadband it said
Comcast
Disconnected
WAN Miniport (PPPOE)
As you can probably tell, I'm a novice at computer knowlege and any help will be greatly appreciated.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
welcome to PCR

Install the motherboard drivers, especially the Ethernet port drivers. :)

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.. Of course I don't have the drivers for the motherboard. As I mentioned I'm a complete computer novice and have just enough knowledge to be a danger to my computer . If I can figure out what motherboard I have and where to download the drivers I will try to follow you instructions.

Reaction score
seafox said:
Thanks for the advice.. Of course I don't have the drivers for the motherboard. As I mentioned I'm a complete computer novice and have just enough knowledge to be a danger to my computer . If I can figure out what motherboard I have and where to download the drivers I will try to follow you instructions.

Is this a homebuiltPCor a shop bought PC ?? Look on the back for a model/serialnumber and post it here. Waht sort of PC is it ? HP, Acer, Sony etc. Tell us what it is plus modael/serialnumber and we can steer you in the right direction...

Reaction score
I found the drivers at DELL support page. Installed them and all is well. Thanks a million for your expertise and for taking the time to help.

Ask a Question