Windows XP clock runs way too fast.

Discussion in 'Windows XP General' started by Dan, Jul 10, 2003.

  1. Dan

    Dan Guest

    The Windows clock gets its initial time from the
    motherboard when it boots up, but how does the clock keep
    accurate time after that?

    I'm having a very stange problem with my Windows XP
    clock. Sometimes when my computer boots up the Windows XP
    clock runs very fast, about 9 minutes too fast after one
    hour. Sometimes the clock runs perfectly normal. If I
    turn my system on in the morning and it is running too
    fast, I have to reset the system once to get the clock to
    run at normal speed. The two or three times I've gone
    into the bios menu to watch the clock, it was normal and
    also, every time I turn my computer on in the morning the
    windows xp clock starts out in sync with real time. These
    facts would suggest the motherboard's clock is not at
    fault.

    I'd really appreciate any help on this. It has been very
    difficult to find anyone who has even the slightest clue
    about this strange problem.

    Dan, Jul 10, 2003

  2. Dan

    Moonlit Guest

    Hi,

    In good old dos the hardware clock was only read while starting up. For the
    rest MSDOS kept time by increasing its internal counter on every interrupt
    from the timer chip.

    Still if the timer chip gives it's interrupts too fast the the clock
    ofcourse advances too fast.

    Usually you can see the time running in the bios screen. If that is the case
    just go to the bios screen. Look at the time note the time of a time
    reference wait an hour or so and check it again. If it is plus 8 minutes you
    know your motherboard has a problem if not my gues would be either a virus
    or you selected a ntp time source that is not accurate. (Click as admin on
    the time to check)

    Regards, Ron AF Greve.

    Moonlit, Jul 10, 2003

  3. Dan

    Alex Nichol Guest

    Dan wrote:

    >The Windows clock gets its initial time from the
    >motherboard when it boots up, but how does the clock keep
    >accurate time after that?

    A PC generates a 'timer interrupt' about 20 times a second, and the
    clock is maintained by counting these. Clock rates that run steadily at
    a big loss or gain are probably because the motherboard/BIOS and Windows
    have different ideas on how often the interrupt happen. Small
    variations in this are handled when you use the Internet Time sync -
    this notes the error and adjusts the assumed interval accordingly, so
    that after a few occasions the clock rate is very near right anyway.

    Sometimes (especially with Dell machines) the discrepancy is outside
    the range that the time sync will adjust - and you get a large steady
    error, like 10 minutes in an hour. If that happens Try these steps:

    1. Start->Run cmd.exe
    2. net stop w32time
    3. w32tm.exe /unregister
    4. w32tm.exe /register
    5. net start w32time

    (note spellings w32tm and w32time in different commands)

    If you get short term bad clock rates, there *may* be some rogue program
    that is preventing the interrupts being handled. This was common enough
    in Win98, but ought not to be possible in XP. If it happens note what
    you have running at the time, and see if you can identify a program
    doing it. System Utility things like Norton would be main suspects

    Bournemouth, U.K.

    Alex Nichol, Jul 11, 2003