Windows Xp boot up

Reaction score
Hi all, i have aproblem with my comp, every time i shut it down (useing windows XP) afdter a while the comp boots up on its own, any body nkows or heard about this problem? by the way i can conferm that there are no gosts here :lol:.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Do you have the machine connected to a network (or more likely, a router for your internets)? Perhaps the machine is set to wake on lan. That would be a setting in the BIOS. Depending on what type of system board you have installed DEL, F10, F2, or F1 could get into the BIOS to alter that setting.

Reaction score
Hi silverhazesurfer: i do have a network and connected to a router all i know is my m/board is a gigabyte duel core 2.65 i think, i looked at the bios as you said but i cant find a wakeup file or anything like that (maybe not looking at the right area but i cheacked all the bios tho).
Thankx for your response and hope that you think about some thing else that will help me.

Thank you again
Regards:bow:

P.S. i have 2 PC's and a Laptop connected to the router and only 1 PC does that

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have a computer based on as Asus M2N Sli Deluxe motherboard and it used to do that running XP. I suspected a hardware fault but it never done it when shutting Linux down.

I ran full scans with Malwarebytes and Avast AV and defragged the main disk. Nothing was found but the computer hasn't since rebooted on shutdown, fingers crossed.

This computer is hard wired to a Network via a Router/modem, incidentally.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Sorry for the slow reply.

Once you get into the BIOS you will want to look for Power Management (or something similar) at the top. I believe the most common option I have seen is just the word POWER at the top. If simply moving the highlight (via arrow keys) to that menu shows you the options below, then UP and DOWN should take you to the options under power. You may have to press the enter key to access the power menu.

After that, keep an eye out for an option shown as WAKE ON LAN. The system could also be set to ALWAYS ON as well. This will turn the system back on in the event of a power failure. EX: Power flashes or goes out at your house, computer typically stays off. With ALWAYS ON, the machine will power back up as soon as electric has been restored.

Another suggestion I could give you would be to acquire a network adapter card for your computer and try that. It is entirely possible that the hardware could have shorted and is causing the system to power up.

Yet a simpler suggestion could be to unplug things from the computer, minus the power cable that is, and watch it. That will tell you what is causing your power up. Network cable connected, power up, not connected, no power up....bad NIC or setting. Monitor, Short in cable. Power supply only, Short in power button board or power supply. Use process of elimination.

TL;DR: Try unplugging things one at a time to see if that is having an effect on the machine. That will tell you if anything is shorting and causing it to turn on.

Reaction score
thank you buddy i have found the power on and chaged it and it stayed off for a coiple of nights so far,it looks like it might off been that, thank you again.

Now i have an other problem i axcidently dropped the keybourd and since han when windows boot up it ask me to logon and to click on a logon name,but ther is no names, i never had a logon way to go on windows,it use to go straight to the desk top do you know of how i go into windows deck top and by pass the log on way please.

Thank you again

Reaction score
Just to do a better explanation ( I hope) when the comp finishes booting up and it goes to the windows logon it says "To begin, click your user name",the problem is that it doesnt show a box to click on (maybe coz i never created one) and the only other option there is on the page is to Turn off computer i am tempted to reinstall but i have a few emails that i would like to keep,I normatty back up once amonth,so maybe this time (if i get the chance) i will back it up more often.
Thank you again

Reaction score
SAurfer sorry to boder you again but i thought i let you know of my udate, I have pressed ctrl alt del twice and it got to a windows password,I have never put a password in the installing in windows or after,i have tried a lot of combinations of password of what i thought i would off use but luck.

Regards

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
No worries. Hacking 101. Just press Enter.

If you've never set up a password on the machine, then fill in your username and press enter. it should let you in.

If you don't know your username, do the CTRL ALT DEL 2 times thing and type administrator into the box. Don't type a password, as it probably isn't set up. This should let you in the computer. From that point, there are several ways you can change your normal user information. Control panel, Users.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Aye, as Silver said, when presented with the option to select user name and there isn't one, just hit enter.

And that screen can be disabled in the Control Panel/Users part of Windows.

Reaction score
I tried that(pressed enter) but no good it said that wrong pass word and so on......damm i dont want to format but it is getting to look that i am going to have to, i tried the Administrator and presses enter still same.

Thanks guys

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Reformatting is not an option. This can be done, so no worries.

You could use the XP installation disc to perform a repair of Windows. This will set Windows files back to their "original" configuration. It's a re-install of the OS without all the need to reinstall programs and whatnot.

I would first try Safe Mode. Most computers should boot do a desktop in Safe Mode. It assumes certain things about the user logging onto the system.

To do this:
Restart your computer. Let it start normally so you can read through these instructions while you try it. The timing is somewhat precise.

Your machine will show you a POST screen. If you have a major brand (dell, compaq,hp,etc) then you probably will see that company's name on the screen. Next, you will see the familiar XP loading screen. It is between these two points we want to take advantage.

When you restart the machine, tap the F8 key. Keep tapping the F8 key, even if your machine starts beeping at you. Roughly one time per second. You should then see a boot menu list where it says "Windows advanced options" and a bunch of options. If you don't see this menu and instead see the XP loading screen, increase the number of taps per second. You have to catch the machine between POST and XP loading.

Once you get the menu, select SAFE MODE from the list. Arrow down and hit enter. The machine will then show a bunch of stuff on the screen.

XP loads and you should get a box that says "Windows is in safe mode blah blah blah." Click OK and you should see a desktop. Then, change your user information in control panel and use Start>run>control userpasswords2 to change the login function to go straight to the desktop. If you need a refresher, go back through the posts for instruction.

Try that.

Reaction score
surfer thank you again for your responce.

I tried the safe mode but it took me to the same logon page,than i tried the setup cd and for what ever reason it ended up installing windows(at least i did manage to install it in a diff directory)i can look into the old windows but i dont think i can use the old control panel, i tried to get to the m/soft office email so i can save the emails i need to keep,if i can only be able to save them i dont mind starting from scrach meaning format the comp and start again,so if you dont mind too much try to explain to me how i can get to the ols controll panel or how to look into the email system it will be great.

Regards

P.S. when comp booting up it gives me an option of which windows xp i want to boot to,so the old wind still there but with original problem asking for a p/word

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Control panel from the other installation of Windows will not work.

As far as old emails, that could get tricky. Windows isn't just installed in one particular folder. There is the Windows folder for system files, Program Files folder for installed applications, Documents and settings for user information and settings. Windows installation will create a new C:\Windows folder when it is run. However, sometimes programs and other settings may not carry over. I have seen some wierd installations.

IF your information is still there, search the C:\ drive for anything *.pst
This will be the file that contains your emails. If you have reinstalled MS office to the Program Files folder, chances are...your emails are gone.

You can try to get to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\OUTLOOK.EXE and run that. If you haven't reinstalled Office, then you should be able to open the program and still access email. If you get prompts to configure an email account, your mail is gone.

The F8 key WILL work. You have to tap it while the machine is starting BEFORE that menu of which Windows to start.

hope that helps.

Reaction score
Surfer:thankx 4 your help buddy, i endded up finding a 1 monthe old email backup so i used that only lost a couple or weeks worth (which it's not too bad considering)i just installed Windows 7 now and im haven an other headacke trying to find out were every thing is :confused: anyway it is a callenge.

Thank you again for your help mate

Regards

Ask a Question