Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade Failed

I was upgrading from Vista Home Premium to Vista Ultimate. It made it to the
last step of the process and then gave a basic error message that only told
me Vista failed to install properly. I clicked the OK button and then it put
Vista Home Premium back on my C: drive. What now? I ran the Vista Upgrade
Utility and it only shows 1 problem with my sound card not being "certified".
So what...it works with Vista Home Premium, so surely it will work with
Vista Ultimate, right? And why would this installation program stop because
my sound card, manufactured by Realtek that came with my HP desktop PC that I
purchased last week, isn't "certified" by Microsoft. Is that a reason to
abort an hour-long installation process?

So what do I do now? The license upgrade receipt I have from OfficeMax
tells me to find my "upgrade file" at
www.windowsanytimeupgrade-na.com/digitallocker but guess what I get when I go
to that page....Error 404 Page Not Found. Wonderful. All this time and
headache to get RAID enabled on my new HP...the same HP system that Fry's
told me was RAID-ready, but they failed to tell me RAID isn't supported with
the Vista Home Premium that came pre-installed on this PC.

Any suggestions on what I should do now to try the upgrade again? Will it
continue to fail as long as I have the Realtek sound card installed? I can
only guess that this is the reason for the upgrade installation failure since
the error message didn't say exactly why it failed, just that it did.

Regards,

Steve

I found the Digital Locker and signed in using the E-mail address I gave when
I purchased the Ultimate Upgrade License. My locker is empty. Great. What
a wonderful idea this was...to purchase an online license that can't be
recovered. I purchased this license about 10 hours ago. I don't know why
it's not showing up there by now.

Mark

The best bet is to try again. This time do not select the option to update
during installation. Look for a file with the following extension:
..slupkg-ms
This is your installation upgrade file. Just double-click the file, insert
the installation disk, and go.

The Digital Locker does not put your License into the locker until four days
after you use the license download link. (Check your e-mail?) Not sure how
this works if they previously put the file on your drive. That would imply
they've already downloaded the file to your computer and it should show up
in the digital locker within four days of purchase. Either way, I'd call
them to find out how they got the file.

John Barnes

If you wanted RAID you should have bought a machine that had hardware RAID.
Check your BIOS and enable RAID if it is available. Vista doesn't care about
hardware RAID. It is invisible.

Amy Vanderhill

This exact issue is happening to me and my new Toshiba laptop. The .slupkg-ms does not seem to be loacted anywhere on the machine.

I've called MS, who asked for a product key, I've called Digital Locker, who says they didn't sell the product-Arvado sells it...and it will take up to 3 days to see it in the locker.

Have you had any luck resolving this issue?

I just need the upgrade to allow me to connect to the servers here at work.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Ken Blake

This exact issue is happening to me and my new Toshiba laptop.

What "exact issue"? Please quote the message you are replying to so we can
understand what you are talking about.

And please do *not* change the subject line of the thread.

Richard G. Harper

Ken, it's an EggHead. You won't get any satisfaction since 95% of the
thread is on the EggHead Cafe servers and never made it here. AFAIK the
EggHeads aren't even picking up replies here, so they will never see your
attempt to help.

Do as I do - block 'em.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Shell/User] (e-mail address removed)

Ken Blake

Ken, it's an EggHead. You won't get any satisfaction since 95% of the
thread is on the EggHead Cafe servers and never made it here. AFAIK the
EggHeads aren't even picking up replies here, so they will never see your
attempt to help.

Do as I do - block 'em.

Thanks, Richard. I hadn't noticed.

amhey1

<Amy Vanderhill> wrote in message

What "exact issue"? Please quote the message you are replying to so we can
understand what you are talking about.

And please do *not* change the subject line of the thread.

There are two options for downloading from the Digital Locker - with
the Digital Locker software, with the Browser. I selected (on the 3rd
try) the Browser and renamed the file when I saved it - it worked as a
key to the Windows Anytime Upgrade disk/disc - the email that came
with supposedly a key didn't work for me. One thing Firefox is not
good for this - I didn't put ActiveX add-in into it - use IE to
download the key from the Digital Locker again. You can probably see
something in your Digital Locker - even if there's no confirmation of
purchase - i.e. the key to download. But maybe not - my first key I
never got and my partition I downloaded to was destroyed - the 2nd
time I paid I got it - I am now going through the hassle of getting a
refund for the first purchase (from Microsoft as the vendor - or their
fulfillment house).

Mine is very similar. I bought a powerspec 450 that came with vista home
premium. I finally got my anytime cd. and went to my digital locker and
found my license. i clicked on that and after a while it asked for the cd.
it goes through everycheck mark and goes to finishing update. it restarts
the computer and comes up with an error "windows components not installed and
locks up. I restart the computer and it puts home premium back on and
cancels vista ultimate.

what do you think the problem is?