Windows Vista Network Connection Problem

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Networking' started by Tom, Mar 29, 2008.

  1. Tom

    Tom Guest

    Alright. This issue is driving me crazy and I do not know how to fix it.

    My Desktop Windows Vista machine will not connect to the network. My router
    (Apple Airport Extreme) works fine and I can connect with my Macbook (macbook
    booting Vista) and my other Vista laptop. These connections are wireless. My
    desktop is wired to the router.

    My motherboard is an Asus Striker Extreme with two Gigabit ethernet ports. I
    have one disabled currently. Neither of the ports will connect to the network
    and they are both giving me the same type of error... making me think that
    this is software. Also, my PC worked fine the other day and then just began
    to not connect in the middle of nowhere.

    Problem: Network adapters are stuck identifying network - local only. I pull
    Ipconfig and get that their IPv4 is set to 169.254.104.31(Preferred). Subnet
    mask is 255.255.0.0. I also found that I have three tunnel adapters for some
    reason. I have tried to create static IPs with both adapters, create my own
    subnet with both of them, I have tried to renew IP, release IP, delete &
    reinstall the adapters, reboot the PC many times, take each adapter out of
    BIOS individually, shut one down and work on them individually, try to have
    Vista repair the connections to absolutely no avail. I am frustrated and hope
    that someone out there can help me with this.

    This must be a software problem considering that the light on back of my
    motherboard ports are finding the router (one blinking orange and the connect
    a steady green).

    Any help will be GREATLY appreciated

    Tom, Mar 29, 2008

  2. Tom

    MrStan Guest

    I have a similar problem with this motherboard and Vista. Microsoft changed a
    Braodcast flag within the TCP stack in Vista and appears that whem the
    machine starts up it checks the network. If it cannot get a quick reply it
    disables the tcp stack and you get no network although the router and machine
    show a hardware connection. Seems that my agged Netgear Router doesn't like
    this Flag set and often, but no always, replies too late.

    The solution is in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233/en-us although I
    believe that Microsoft may have changed the key name in SP1 as I used to use
    the key DhcpConnForceBroadcastFlag but after SP1 I had to follow the KB
    article.

    Might be worth a try.

    MrStan, Mar 29, 2008

  3. Tom

    genius156iq Guest

    Attn Striker Extreme owners. Ok I have had the same issue and i have found a
    fix but...........you must
    1: Use at your own risk
    2: follow instructions exactly
    it looks like this is a bios issue guys! the 1503 bios is junk it will work
    for a while then pow it will not grab an ip address go to
    http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...rd_id=1&model=Striker Extreme&page=1&count=52
    and download bios 1504 from here
    http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/view.php?id=453538&da=y

    Save to a usb thumb drive
    Then boot up your Striker Extreme press the del key go into tools then go to
    ez flash & find your thumb drive and update to 1504.

    ********VERY IMPORTANT***********
    YOU MUST NOT LOAD YOUR SETTING FROM THE PROFILES IF YOU DO THE BIOS WILL
    BRICK AND YOULL BE STUCK OPENING YOUR CASE AND MOVING THE BIOS RESET JUMPER
    AND PRESSING RESET CMOS.

    I dont know why this is but i had to reset my bios 3 time b 4 i figured that
    out. write down all of your setting by hand.
    once you do all of this restart and if you have a raid setup change the
    settings in bios again to reflect raid and boot again (for those of you who
    have neverf done this before (flash bios) follow instructions very carfuly
    good luck

    And happy networking!

    genius156iq, Apr 9, 2008
  4. Tom

    ianthebrain Guest

    hello tom, i'm having the same problem, just downloaded 1504 and entered ez
    flash, and i clicked enter on 1504.bin but it said 'file size does not match
    exisitng file size!' what does this mean and how can i make it flash :S?
    please help thanks, ian

    ianthebrain, Apr 9, 2008