    http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1 says that you have to
    install vista twice to do a clean install, so could anyone explain me which
    method is correct. Iam currently using Windows XP Pro SP2

    Guest, Feb 7, 2007

    Saucy Lemon Guest

    Yes, well mileage will vary. The terms are confusing:

    When one wants to do a clean install from scratch .. bare harddrive .. one
    might find the install twice method works when using the "upgrade" DVD
    media. Don't eneter the Porduce key first time 'round.

    If you do a clean install of Vista on a PC with XP already installed on it,
    you can just select to do so from the install routine and the "install
    twice" method is not necessary. It depends then on what one intends with the
    term "clean install" i.e. from a bank harddrive or from one with XP already
    on it.

    Saucy Lemon

    Saucy Lemon, Feb 7, 2007

    So if I already have xp installed, I can jsut select a clean install from the
    setup?

    Guest, Feb 7, 2007

    Beck Guest

    >i was wandering if anyone here could help, becuase im a bit confused.
    >
    > On the microsoft site is says that if you have windows xp then you have to
    > do a clean install, for vista premium. But the guy here:
    > http://www.windowssecrets.com/comp/070201#story1 says that you have to
    > install vista twice to do a clean install, so could anyone explain me
    > which
    > method is correct. Iam currently using Windows XP Pro SP2

    Okay the official line from Microsoft is that if you want to use an upgrade
    version you have to upgrade from within XP and you lose the use of your XP
    product key.

    The unofficial line is you can do that Vista over Vista and retain your XP
    product key.

    Beck, Feb 7, 2007

    Ok thanks. I understand now

    Guest, Feb 8, 2007