Windows very slow start up.!!!!

DEFENDER01

HI
when i turn my PC on i get the welcome screen and it gets as far as
showing the desktop back ground
and stays there for nearly 3 minutes before loading the task bar and
desk top icons.

i have tried a system restore to the earliest date also disabling all
start up program's both made no difference.

thanks in advance for any help

db.·.. >

if you boot in safe mode,
do you get better results/
performance?

if so, then you will have
to use this mode to reconfigure
your regular mode.

--

db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional

philo

DEFENDER01 said:
HI
when i turn my PC on i get the welcome screen and it gets as far as
showing the desktop back ground
and stays there for nearly 3 minutes before loading the task bar and
desk top icons.

i have tried a system restore to the earliest date also disabling all
start up program's both made no difference.

thanks in advance for any help

Run msconfig
and take all unneeded apps out of startup

chances are all you need there is your firewall and AV software

DEFENDER01

-

Run msconfig
and take all unneeded apps out of startup

chances are all you need there is your firewall and AV software
Thanks as i said i have already done this but makes on difference

Ken Blake, MVP

HI
when i turn my PC on i get the welcome screen and it gets as far as
showing the desktop back ground
and stays there for nearly 3 minutes before loading the task bar and
desk top icons.

i have tried a system restore to the earliest date also disabling all
start up program's both made no difference.

thanks in advance for any help

My personal view is that the attention many people pay to how long it
takes to boot is unwarranted. Assuming that the computer's speed is
otherwise satisfactory, it may not be worth worrying about. Most
people start their computers once a day or even less frequently. In
the overall scheme of things, even a few minutes to start up isn't
very important. Personally I power on my computer when I get up in the
morning, then go get my coffee. When I come back, it's done booting. I
don't know how long it took to boot and I don't care.

Randem

There are a few places to look to see what is starting up and then to get
rid of them.

1 - Registry -

2 - Startup Group in Start->Programs

3 - msconfig (run from the cmd prompt)

4 - Task Scheduler

There are a few immediate things that you can eliminate from starting up
automatically...

1 - AOL
2 - MS Messenger
3 - Any IM application.

--
Randem Systems
The Top Inno Setup Script Generator

philo

DEFENDER01 said:
Thanks as i said i have already done this but makes on difference.

Oops I did not see that in your original post.(sorry)

My assumption is that this is new behavior
so have a look in event viewer to see if there is an error of some time upon

DEFENDER01

philo;3219848 Wrote:-
[...]

upon
Thanks for all your reply's.
i have found the problem its online armor .
uninstalled and reinstalled but just wont start when online armor i
there.can you suggest another free firewall to try

John John (MVP)

DEFENDER01 said:
Thanks for all your reply's.
i have found the problem its online armor .
uninstalled and reinstalled but just wont start when online armor is
there.can you suggest another free firewall to try.

What about the one that is included with Windows XP?

John

DEFENDER01

John said:
DEFENDER01 wrote:
-
Thanks for all your reply's.
i have found the problem its online armor .
uninstalled and reinstalled but just wont start when online armor is
there.can you suggest another free firewall to try.-

What about the one that is included with Windows XP?

John

I was looking for something a bit better as i was told its not up to
much.!!

Unknown

Why do you believe online armor is better than the windows firewall?
Don't believe all that hype you read about it. What specifically makes it
better than the Windows XP firewall?

DEFENDER01

John John (MVP);3221236 Wrote:-
DEFENDER01 wrote:
-
Thanks for all your reply's.
i have found the problem its online armor .
uninstalled and reinstalled but just wont start when online armor is
there.can you suggest another free firewall to try.-

What about the one that is included with Windows XP?

John-

I was looking for something a bit better as i was told its not up to
much.!!
Like i said i was told windows firewall was not that good.
i guess someone will come along and explain why.
some people like zone alarm but i have had trouble with that.
since uninstalling online armor and reinstalling it works fine now.!!

Unknown

Some people believe you have to check incoming and outgoing on the 'net.
I have never had a problem with Windows XP firewall.