Windows XP Windows Update Sausing Problems

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have a little caution for those of you using microsoft updates!

I have been updating a number of computers here in the shop, and i noticed problems this morning. After downloading updates on about 3 computers, the computers would not boot to windows. I had to choose "Use last known good configuration." I looked more closely at the hardware updates and noticed 2 things.
1. there is an ALPS device driver, but none of these desktop pc's use a laptop pointing device! I told windows not to show that update again on all three pc's
2. There is a driver update for the VIA IDE controller driver, I told windows to ignore that one too.

I recomend you do the same if you update your hardware drivers through the custom microsoft upates page.

Reaction score
well, they fixed the problem on microsoft update's site the day after i posted this thread...so, I guess this thread is pretty pointless now! LOL

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks for the update :thumb: - because of this sort of thing I tend to wait a short while before updating.

Reaction score
Cheers for this DigitalDoctorTech01.:thumb:
Seems a recent problem with the icons on my desktop may have been caused by a conflict with a recent update patch i installed from Microsoft.
All now sorted out with a powertools icon tweak.

Ask a Question