Windows XP Windows Task Manager only shows 1 CPU for Core 2 Quad Core

Reaction score
I recently built a new system, fourth one for me, running Windows XP SP2 on a Core 2 Quad Core Processor. After the build was done, I did see in Windows Task Manager it showing all four cores. A week later, the Task Manager only shows one cpu. I check the view for the processors and it only gives me the option of one graph per cpu, which is greyed out. There are no other options to choose. I ran Intel's CPU Identification Utility and it still shows four cores as does the post at startup. Any ideas as to what is causing this and what can be done to fix it?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I have a quad (QX6700) - in Task Manager I get the option of selecting one graph per cpu and also one graph, all cpu's - both options are available and working.

There should be 1 CPU Usage column and 4 individual columns for CPU Usage History under the Task Manager>Performance - what do you have?

What motherboard is it?

Reaction score
thanks for responding. I am using the ASUS Striker Extreme with the 0802 BIOS, which was a beta at the time.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
OK - can you let me know the answer to the other question I asked please?

There should be 1 CPU Usage column and 4 individual columns for CPU Usage History under the Task Manager>Performance - what do you have?

Reaction score
There is the CPU usage column and one graph. I did say in the original post that it is showing only one graph instead of four.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Apologies, but it wasn't clear to me which graph you were talking about.

It could be that Windows isn't reporting it correctly rather than you don't have all cores working - what we need to do is put 4 instances of 100% load on your machine and see if it shows up in the TM>Processes tab as 4 x 25 CPU usage.

One way to do it is to load 4 instances of Prime95 - have a go following the how-to HERE :thumb:

Reaction score
Ok so it appears that all four cores show up in TM under Processes while running Prime95 at 4x25. So is the TM just not showing it properly and will it cause problems?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
No it shouldn't cause problems - may be some kind of Windows corruption causing it to mis-report under the 'performances' tab - as long as the cores are working then you shouldn't loose out in terms of performance, and as all cores are functioning under 'processes' then you will be OK :thumb:

Ask a Question