    Thanks in advance for your help.
    Sincerely,
    Rodney Brown

    Rodney Brown, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Rodney Brown

    null Guest

    Rodney Brown wrote:

    > Please help. I'm getting this error while the computer is
    > booting up in Windows XP Pro. I'm unable to start in Safe
    > Mode to do anything. I was going to reinstall XP pro but I
    > really don't want to lose everything if there is a way
    > around it. Is there a way around this? If not, is there a
    > way around this so that I can reinstall XP Pro but not
    > lose everything.
    > Thanks in advance for your help.
    > Sincerely,
    > Rodney Brown

    You can try running a repair - rather than a reinstall - by booting to
    the WinXP CD. No guarantees you won't lose your data, but you probably
    won't.

    posted here.

    null, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Rodney Brown

    Russ Golowin Guest

    Rodney,

    I can't help you right now but I will say that I have the
    same exact problem...started today. I wonder what caused
    it?

    I am in the same boat as you, so hopefully I will find
    something out or others will help.

    A starting place is to search at microsoft.com for "how
    to recover from a corrupted registry that prevents
    windows xp from starting". This discusses the problem,
    but it asks me for a password in recovery console...and I
    dont remember ever setting one.

    Anyone with help on this password issue please help me/us.

    Thank you

    Russ Golowin, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Rodney Brown

    Galaxy Guest

    Have a look at this knowledge base here.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;307545

    Galaxy, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Greetings --

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 20, 2004
  6. Rodney Brown

    Mike Guest

    I too get this message on boot. I'm trying to deploy an XP
    image using many different methods all with the same
    result. I'm deploying a dual boot dos, xp system with
    fat32 which works fine with Win2k but will not work with
    xp. I tried all solutions in that knowledge base article
    and nothing works. In our situation dos is c and xp is d,
    the image was installed and sysprep'd that way. The image
    is acpi to acpi but different Dell models. Does anyone
    have any idea why this won't work? We've used a zip
    imaging system, and two other sector by sector copy
    methods (ghost and another) nothing works! Still get this
    same exact error. I have also restored the ntldr and
    ntdetect.com from the xp disk on the primary active dos
    partition and the boot.ini is correct. I've been working
    on this issue for weeks and I'm not getting anywhere,
    PLEASE HELP ME!!!

    us;307545

    > Once you've recovered, you might want to look here,

    as well:

    >How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues

    us;822705

    >Bruce Chambers
    >--
    >Help us help you:
    >http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    >
    >You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever

    count on

    Mike, Aug 20, 2004
  7. Rodney Brown

    Mike Guest

    I too get this message on boot. I'm trying to deploy an XP
    image using many different methods all with the same
    result. I'm deploying a dual boot dos, xp system with
    fat32 which works fine with Win2k but will not work with
    xp. I tried all solutions in that knowledge base article
    and nothing works. In our situation dos is c and xp is d,
    the image was installed and sysprep'd that way. The image
    is acpi to acpi but different Dell models. Does anyone
    have any idea why this won't work? We've used a zip
    imaging system, and two other sector by sector copy
    methods (ghost and another) nothing works! Still get this
    same exact error. I have also restored the ntldr and
    ntdetect.com from the xp disk on the primary active dos
    partition and the boot.ini is correct. I've been working
    on this issue for weeks and I'm not getting anywhere. Any
    help is appreciated...

    Mike, Aug 20, 2004
  8. Greetings --

    It won't work because, as you say, you have "different Dell
    models." For disk imaging and WinXP, the source and target computers
    must be _identical_.

    Normally, and assuming a retail license (many OEM installations
    and licenses are not transferable to a new motherboard - check yours
    _before_ starting), unless the new motherboard is virtually identical
    (same chipset, same IDE controllers, same BIOS version, etc.) to the
    one on which the WinXP installation was originally performed, you'll
    need to perform a repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at
    the very least:

    important data before starting.

    This will also require re-activation, unless you have a Volume
    Licensed version of WinXP Pro installed. If it's been more than 120
    days since you last activated that specific Product Key, you'll most
    likely be able to activate via the internet without problem. If it's
    been less, you might have to make a 5 minute phone call.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    Bruce Chambers, Aug 20, 2004
  9. Rodney Brown

    Mike Guest

    The same method that I'm using was used sucessfully to
    deploy a single image of Windows 2000 but will not work
    with XP. They have the same acpi hal so it should work.
    Video card, cd rom, nic are deleted from the device
    manager and sysprep is used with mini install checked
    along with recreate SIDS. The installations use they're
    own driver directories with specific drivers copied from
    the network at the time of install and a sysprep.inf file
    to locate those drivers for the specific model. With 2k
    this image was successfully deployed to all different Dell
    model desktops and laptops. It works, just not with XP for
    some reason.

    ID=KB;EN-US;Q315341

    > As always when undertaking such a significant change,

    back up any

    Mike, Aug 20, 2004