Windows Messenger uninstalled - but its directory still exists!

*Vanguard*

I used Add/Remove Windows Components to uninstall Windows Messenger.
However, its install directory "C:\Program Files\Messenger" still exists.
There are still dozens of registry keys for it that have "C:\Program
Files\Messenger" in a data value. While I'm used to lots of registry crap
getting left behind after an uninstall, I would have expected the directory
and the files under it to get deleted. To me, the uninstall of Windows
Messenger really didn't seem to uninstall anything.

I've already followed the following KB article on how to use the Group
Policy Editor to prevent Windows Messenger from getting loaded and prevent
if from running:

How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089

But that just stops it from loading and running, and doesn't uninstall it.
That's why I went in Add/Remove Windows Components to remove it. But it
sure doesn't look like anything actually got removed.

kurttrail

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

--
Peace!
Kurt

Carey Frisch [MVP]

All you did was remove access to Windows Messenger from
the Start menu. Did you read the "description" caption below
Windows Messenger when you clicked on it in the Windows
Components Wizard?

Remove Windows Messenger
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Doug Knox]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| I used Add/Remove Windows Components to uninstall Windows Messenger.
| However, its install directory "C:\Program Files\Messenger" still exists.
| There are still dozens of registry keys for it that have "C:\Program
| Files\Messenger" in a data value. While I'm used to lots of registry crap
| getting left behind after an uninstall, I would have expected the directory
| and the files under it to get deleted. To me, the uninstall of Windows
| Messenger really didn't seem to uninstall anything.
|
| I've already followed the following KB article on how to use the Group
| Policy Editor to prevent Windows Messenger from getting loaded and prevent
| if from running:
|
| How to Prevent Windows Messenger from Running on a Windows XP-Based Computer
| http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=302089
|
| But that just stops it from loading and running, and doesn't uninstall it.
| That's why I went in Add/Remove Windows Components to remove it. But it
| sure doesn't look like anything actually got removed.

*Vanguard*

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" said in
All you did was remove access to Windows Messenger from
the Start menu. Did you read the "description" caption below
Windows Messenger when you clicked on it in the Windows
Components Wizard?

Actually it only removes *access* to the shortcut in the Start menu if the
shortcut is in its default location. Since I create a Start -> Programs ->
Communications group where I put such applications, that's where I moved the
shortcut to "Windows Messenger". So unchecking this components and applying
the change really didn't remove access at all. It's pretty stupid to simply
remove a shortcut and think that is removing access to a program. I don't
need to use the Start menu at all to start programs. But I see your point
that the "removal" is really a bogus action.

*Vanguard*

"kurttrail" said in news:erh6j%[email protected]:

Thanks for the link. I ran the manual remove and it worked great. The
C:\Program Files\Messenger directory disappeared using the .inf file's
Remove action. And the option to use Windows Messenger disappeared from
Outlook Express with the registry edit.

I wish I could remember the KB article or where I read previously how to
eliminate the DCOM error that I was getting in the Event Viewer. There was
a long delay after uninstalling Windows Messenger and Instant Messenger when
starting up Outlook Express. The article had me go to a registry key and
blank out the data value for a data item under some registry key which was
the server that OE was trying to connect to (which was for Messenger
although the option to use it in OE was already disabled).

Oh well, looks like I finally got rid of the beast. Thanks for your input.

Tom Pepper Willett

Here's a true way to uninstall windows messenger using control panel
add/remove programs (MS hides it from there until you make some changes).

This is just one of many sites that gives the same info:

http://home.earthlink.net/~lreynol929/ruXP/Internet/RMWINMSG.HTM

Tom
| "kurttrail" said in | >
| > http://www.dougknox.com/xp/tips/xp_messenger_remove.htm
|
| Thanks for the link. I ran the manual remove and it worked great. The
| C:\Program Files\Messenger directory disappeared using the .inf file's
| Remove action. And the option to use Windows Messenger disappeared from
| Outlook Express with the registry edit.
|
| I wish I could remember the KB article or where I read previously how to
| eliminate the DCOM error that I was getting in the Event Viewer. There
was
| a long delay after uninstalling Windows Messenger and Instant Messenger
when
| starting up Outlook Express. The article had me go to a registry key and
| blank out the data value for a data item under some registry key which was
| the server that OE was trying to connect to (which was for Messenger
| although the option to use it in OE was already disabled).
|
| Oh well, looks like I finally got rid of the beast. Thanks for your
input.

| --

*Vanguard*

"David Candy" said in news:[email protected]:
That only works if messenger hasn't been upgraded.

You're saying that the upgrade does not also provide a valid msmsgs.inf file
with that upgrade? You sure? I would think an upgrade for a product that
uses an .inf file would always have to include a new version of that .inf
file that matches the upgrade. The "Remove" action is defined within the
..inf file. Not providing a new .inf file that matches the new version would
be deliberately letting the product get out of sync with the database that
Windows uses to define the product.

The C:\WINDOWS\inf\sysoc.inf file specifies the following for Windows
Messenger:

msmsgs=msgrocm.dll,OcEntry,msmsgs.inf,,7

In my case, and because the "hide" parameter is omitted (as the 4th
parameter), it will get listed in the "Add/Remove Windows Components"
applet. In the msmsgs.inf is where the Remove action is defined (in the
"[BLC.Remove]" section). So if there is an upgrade that uses different
registry keys and/or files then a new .inf would be required that specifies
those changed values.

I suppose it is possible that Microsoft does not include a new msmsgs.inf
file with a new version of their Windows Messenger. That would be as stupid
as some application's installation not adding an entry to the
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall registry key and
also creating an uninstall log file read by the UninstallString command
executed by the Uninstall registry entry. It could happen.

David Candy

It does include an inf file but is smart enough to realise it's not the original.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm