Windows Mail spell check frequently crashes

AB

I have had 32-bit Vista running on this laptop for well over a year. All
updates are done when they appear.

When I do a spell check of my email, more often than not the spell check
causes an error (no codes given) that asks if I want to restart the
application - no real choice, of course. Often I even lose the saved draft
and start all over (I now save to a text editor before doing a check).

The language is English and always has been. This is my only Vista machine
so I can't say if it happens elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a reason this may be happening and how I can fix it?

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

I don't know why spell check crashes Windows Mail for you.
I've never had that happen in the four years I have used Windows Mail.
Make sure your antivirus is not configured to scan emails.
If the problem continues, upgrade to Windows Live Mail:

http://download.live.com/wlmail

Gary VanderMolen, Microsoft MVP (Mail)

"AB" wrote in message
I have had 32-bit Vista running on this laptop for well over a year. All
updates are done when they appear.

When I do a spell check of my email, more often than not the spell check
causes an error (no codes given) that asks if I want to restart the
application - no real choice, of course. Often I even lose the saved draft
and start all over (I now save to a text editor before doing a check).

The language is English and always has been. This is my only Vista machine
so I can't say if it happens elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a reason this may be happening and how I can fix it?

mac

AB said:
I have had 32-bit Vista running on this laptop for well over a year. All
updates are done when they appear.

When I do a spell check of my email, more often than not the spell check
causes an error (no codes given) that asks if I want to restart the
application - no real choice, of course. Often I even lose the saved draft
and start all over (I now save to a text editor before doing a check).

The language is English and always has been. This is my only Vista machine
so I can't say if it happens elsewhere.

Does anyone know of a reason this may be happening and how I can fix it?

You can save composed mail to the Drafts folder at any stage during
composition, thus avoiding any loss due to WM's many failings, by doing
Ctrl+S.

How do you invoke the spelling check?
If from the 'ABC' button on the new mail, then try the F7 key to see if that
causes the crash or not?

AB

My anti-virus (avast) does scan emails. I assumed it should. I'll try to
turn that off for a while and see what happens (or doesn't happen!).

I'll look into Windows Live Mail. I have a large number of rules set up and
would hate to have to reenter the hundreds of emails for one specific rule
:)

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

Your Avast! antivirus was probably installed with its default install option,
which installs an email scanning module. Just disabling its email scanning
is not a sufficient remedy. Uninstall Avast!, then reinstall, but select 'custom'
install, which then allows you to unselect installing its troublesome email
scanning module.

Email scanning in any antivirus should be disabled, for reasons
explained here:

"AB" wrote in message
My anti-virus (avast) does scan emails. I assumed it should. I'll try to
turn that off for a while and see what happens (or doesn't happen!).

I'll look into Windows Live Mail. I have a large number of rules set up and
would hate to have to reenter the hundreds of emails for one specific rule
:)

AB

Thanks Gary. So far, just disabling Avast's email scanner has been working
for me. But the minute it doesn't, I'll do the uninstall and custom
reinstall as you suggested. The article was interesting. I never thought
about the mechanics behind checking attachments.

Gary VanderMolen \(MVP\)

You're very welcome. Glad to help out.