Windows Mail Slow to start

bopper

If I start Windows Mail right after I boot up my computer and the desk top is
first available, it takes 2-3 minutes for Windows Mail to start. I have
Norton 360 security. If I wait a few minutes to click on Windows Mail it
will start right away. Any advice?

Sam Hobbs

The system is very busy during startup. Anything you do during startup will
take longer. The more you give the system to do all at once, the greater
amount of time it will take for Windows to do anything at that time. One big
bottleneck is the disk drive; it must move (seek) a lot when it is doing
many things at once. In the near future, Solid State Disks (SSDs) will be
economical and that will speed things up. SSDs won't be practical for big
files such as videos but will be very practical for operating system files.

One thing to check is main memory. If the main memory is insufficient then
that will definitely slow down the system. I think you should have at least
1 GB. Memory is cheap enough that it is a good investment.

Steve Cochran

If you uninstall Norton and get something less invasive the entire computer
will run much faster.

steve

Sam Hobbs

Also ensure that your system is defragmented regularly. If you don't know
what that is then go "Start | Help and Support" and search for "defragment".
Read as much of that as you can. You can do an unscheduled defragmentation
using the instructions but also see "Schedule Disk Defragmenter to run
regularly". Note that when Vista is installed it is set to do scheduled
defragmentations so you probably don't need to do anything more but in case
it is not scheduled it can make a difference. If you have questions don't
ask here; go to a forum or newsgroup for Vista, not Windows Mail.

Bob

Norton is likely causing your problem.
Replace Norton with the free AVG http://free.grisoft.com/ or Avast
Defender. Disabling Norton is not enough. You need to completely uninstall
it. If it doesn't solve the problem, get rid of Norton anyway. Norton is
known to cause many problems which don’t always appear immediately.
Download and run the Norton Removal Tool.
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

It's called "360" because Symantec's goal is complete ownership of your
computer, and with even less communication about what it's trying to do or
ways to configure it than ever before (which would only interfere with its
goal.) That, along with Symantec's famous technical support, makes Norton
360 a disaster that I would only install on Granny's computer if she was
going to disinherit me.

PA Bear [MS MVP]

No bug, WYSIWYG.

Bob *did* reply to Sam's post but he <snipped> Sam's reply from the quoted
section.

From the headers of Bob's post:

===
===

(e-mail address removed) is the Message ID of Sam's second post
in
this thread:

====
From: "Sam Hobbs" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Windows Mail Slow to start
Date: Sat, 19 Sep 2009 09:53:54 -0700
<snip>
<snip>
=====

Sam Hobbs

Thank you, PA Bear. Many would say that it does not matter who is replied
to, that it is the quoted text that matters. I certainly agree that it is
not a major issue but it does make things easier to be able to see the
hierarchy. For those such as Gary that choose not to use the hierarchy then
it makes no difference.

So it might not be worth saying anything about, but at least I know it is
not a bug.