Windows Mail downloaded all email on server, MUST replace HELP!!

Jim Grim

I am using Vista Home Premium on a brand new PC. I never used Outlook or
Windows Mail before but I have a brief experience using POP mail and web
based servers. Currently I wanted to set up Windows Mail to use as a default
Newsgroup reader and start using newsgroups, BUT since Window's makes flawed
junk, it's wizard was preset to remove all mail on my Yahoo Inbox server as
soon as it connected. Now I have over 480+ emails which actually belong on
the web based account as part of my business and contacts. I absolutely need
these all replaced back on the server and in the inbox ASAP!

I am using Yahoo and I understand the rules regarding a Yahoo Plus Mail
account, I just need the step by step instructions on returning these emails
to the account without them being forwarded one by one. There has to be a
procedure for this somewhere right? And why is Window's Mail default set to
download them all and remove them during a first time run of it's wizard
anyway? This is much worse than Outlook in every way.

Please help me by posting the step by step instructions using Vista Windows
Mail to replace these back to the server. If this is impossible, just let me
know. Thanks for any and all help you might be able to provide!!~ Jim

Patrick Keenan

Jim Grim said:
I am using Vista Home Premium on a brand new PC. I never used Outlook or
Windows Mail before but I have a brief experience using POP mail and web
based servers. Currently I wanted to set up Windows Mail to use as a
default Newsgroup reader and start using newsgroups, BUT since Window's
makes flawed junk,

Microsoft's practices in this particular regard are the same as everyone
else's.
it's wizard was preset to remove all mail on my Yahoo Inbox server as soon
as it connected.

Yep. That is exactly the way that every other POP client behaves.

Unless you explicitly set the POP client to leave a copy of messages on the
server, a message will be deleted once it's downloaded.

It's entirely normal for POP clients to do this, and it's a holdover from
(still recent) days when mail accounts were quite limited in space.
Now I have over 480+ emails

Frankly, that's not really that much. Some I have dealt with have been in
the thousands.
which actually belong on the web based account as part of my business and
contacts. I absolutely need these all replaced back on the server and in
the inbox ASAP!

Unfortunately this is basically not possible in any timeframe.

And if I may comment - if the mail and contacts are an essential part of
your business, you need a better plan.
I am using Yahoo and I understand the rules regarding a Yahoo Plus Mail
account, I just need the step by step instructions on returning these
emails to the account without them being forwarded one by one.

There are no such instructions. You cleared the mailbox, and the mail is
no longer there.

If you mass-forwad the mail to yourself, it will all be from you, to you, at
more or less the same time.
There has to be a procedure for this somewhere right?

No, sorry, there doesn't, and there isn't.
And why is Window's Mail default set to download them all and remove them
during a first time run of it's wizard anyway? This is much worse than
Outlook in every way.

This is the default behaviour for pretty much every POP mail client,
including Outlook, Outlook Express, Thunderbird, Windows Mail, Netscape
Communicator, Eudora, Windows Live Mail, Entourage, etc.

While I prefer Outlook to Windows Mail, I use both for different purposes,
and both treat POP mail servers the same way.
Please help me by posting the step by step instructions using Vista
Windows Mail to replace these back to the server. If this is impossible,
just let me know. Thanks for any and all help you might be able to
provide!!~ Jim

It's not possible. You've moved the mail, and you'll just have to carry
around a small laptop or something till the mail catches up, and then, you
have an archive.

The only potential possibility, and it is remote, is that you contact the
mail provider and see if you can pay them to restore your mail from their
backups. Expect there to be a mismatch, and don't expect it to be
inexpensive.

As an alternate suggestion, you might consider something like setting up
your own mail server (for example, MailTraq, which is only a few hundred
dollars, cheap compared to an Exchange server license) which downloads from
your mail provider, and you connect to the Mailtraq server via IMAP to read
the mail. This would mostly make sense if you absolutely had to have that
mail accessible from different systems; you can import the downloaded mail
(though perhaps not directly) into MailTraq, then point your mail client to
the MailTraq server. This also allows you to back up the mail stores
properly, so that in an event like this, you can restore them. If you did
this on a system in your office, you would also have to investigate dynamic
DNS and router settings to allow remote access to the MailTraq server.

HTH
-pk

Gary VanderMolen

I don't understand. If you only wanted to use Windows Mail as a
newsgroup reader, why did you set up a mail account in it?
Since time immemorial POP clients by default remove mail from the
server after downloading it.
There is no procedure for returning that mail to the Yahoo server.
It could only be done if Yahoo (like Gmail) offered an IMAP account,
but they don't.