Windows Live OneCare ?'s

D

Dr. Heywood Floyd

1 - Tune-Up has a schedule setting but no On/Off that I can find. Is there one?

2 - Tune-Up did a defrag on all three of my drives "C", "D" and "E". Is there a way to prevent
this - to have it only defrag a selected drive? My "C" drive is my working drive and I have XP
pro on "E" that I use for testing. I'd just as soon an application that I'm running from a
chosen, booted OS 'stay home'. It has NO business going outside it's installed drive -
*especially* without asking!!

3 - Backup only gives choices of to CD or an external drive. Is there a way to have it backup
to a internal drive? I installed the "D" drive to use exclusively for storing a mirror image of
my "C" drive as a backup. I may allow Live OneCare to backup there if there is a way. ??

Thanks

S

StephenB

OneCare discussions should go to the Windows Live OneCare forum here:
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowForum.aspx?ForumID=1001&SiteID=2
Use the 1.5 topic folder for v1.5 beta discussions.

Dr. Heywood Floyd said:
1 - Tune-Up has a schedule setting but no On/Off that I can find. Is there one? No.

2 - Tune-Up did a defrag on all three of my drives "C", "D" and "E". Is there a way to prevent
this - to have it only defrag a selected drive? My "C" drive is my working drive and I have XP
pro on "E" that I use for testing. I'd just as soon an application that I'm running from a
chosen, booted OS 'stay home'. It has NO business going outside it's installed drive -
*especially* without asking!!
This is not possible at this time. Defrag will defrag all drives. There is a
thread in the forum where a developer from the OneCare team has asked for
feedback regarding this very topic -
http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=791455&SiteID=2
3 - Backup only gives choices of to CD or an external drive. Is there a way to have it backup
to a internal drive? I installed the "D" drive to use exclusively for storing a mirror image of
my "C" drive as a backup. I may allow Live OneCare to backup there if there is a way. ??
This is not an option at this time. Disable the backup in OneCare and use the
backup functionality of Vista if you want to backup to an internal drive.

-steve

D

Dr. Heywood Floyd

Thank you for that thread.

It appears the posters there are saying they can not/will not use Tune-Up in it's present form.
I agree. However, since there is NO way of disabling it within Live OneCare I'll have no
choice but to not use the entire Windows Live OneCare package. I SURE hope there is a choice
within Vista to NOT use it. It's a Vista deal-breaker if we don't have choices. We, simply,
*CAN'T* allow things to be done to out systems that we don't want and especially in ways that
may be harmful.

S

StephenB

Dr. Heywood Floyd said:
Thank you for that thread.

It appears the posters there are saying they can not/will not use Tune-Up in it's present form.
I agree. However, since there is NO way of disabling it within Live OneCare I'll have no
choice but to not use the entire Windows Live OneCare package. I SURE hope there is a choice
within Vista to NOT use it. It's a Vista deal-breaker if we don't have choices. We, simply,
*CAN'T* allow things to be done to out systems that we don't want and especially in ways that
may be harmful.

WIndows Live OneCare is a completely optional subscription based protection
suite. You do not need to use it.
-steve

R

Richard Urban

One care live must be purchased separately from Vista. If you don't want
it - don't purchase it.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Quote from George Ankner:
If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!

Ask a Question