Windows Installer: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation

G

When I try to install PSP8, the installation ceases and I receive the message: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. The PSP folks have assisted me in removing all remnants of a previous installation. I am logged in as the administrator and have no software policies set up. I ran WI.reg and that did not resolve the issue. I unloaded Norton AntiVirus and retried the installation without success. I ran ZapMSI.exe and that did not resolve the issue. I believe that some statement in my registry is falsely indicating a software installation policy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really don’t want to do a clean reinstallation of XP. As a side note, just before this issue arose, I discovered by accident that somehow a user account and been set up on my computer, either by internet access or by me allowing a backdoor intrusion via of installation of an unsavory software program.

D

Drew Tognola

Terry,

· click 'Start' > 'Programs' > 'Administrative Tools' > 'Local
Security Policy'

· click into 'Software Restriction Policies'

· click 'Security Levels'

check your settings in this area

Drew

Terry said:
When I try to install PSP8, the installation ceases and I receive the
message: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this
installation. The PSP folks have assisted me in removing all remnants of a
previous installation. I am logged in as the administrator and have no
software policies set up. I ran WI.reg and that did not resolve the issue.
I unloaded Norton AntiVirus and retried the installation without success. I
ran ZapMSI.exe and that did not resolve the issue. I believe that some
statement in my registry is falsely indicating a software installation
policy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want
to do a clean reinstallation of XP. As a side note, just before this issue
arose, I discovered by accident that somehow a user account and been set up
on my computer, either by internet access or by me allowing a backdoor
intrusion via of installation of an unsavory software program.

G

Drew

Thank you for your feedback. When I double click on 'Software Restriction Policies' there are no 'Security Levels' listed. In the 'Software Restriction Policies' folder, it states: No Software Restriction Policies Defined

Terry

T

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Terry said:
When I try to install PSP8, the installation ceases and I receive the message: The system administrator has set policies to prevent this installation. The PSP folks have assisted me in removing all remnants of a previous installation. I am logged in as the administrator and have no software policies set up. I ran WI.reg and that did not resolve the issue. Iunloaded Norton AntiVirus and retried the installation without success. I ran ZapMSI.exe and that did not resolve the issue. I believe that some statement in my registry is falsely indicating a software installationpolicy. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. I really don’t want to do a clean reinstallation of XP. As a side note, just before this issue arose, I discovered by accident that somehow a user account and been set up on my computer, either by internet access or by me allowing a backdoor intrusion via of installation of an unsavory software program.

Hi

Verify that the registry value DisableMSI under the key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

is NOT set to 1 or 2 (if it doesn't exist, it will default to 0 for WinXPor
earlier)

If it is set to 1 or 2, change it to 0.

Machine Policies: DisableMSI
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/msi/setup/disablemsi.asp

G

Torgeir

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your diagnosis was right on the mark. I changed the registry setting and the installer worked without a hitch

MOST grateful
Terry White

T

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Terry said:
Torgeir,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Your diagnosis was right on the mark.
I changed the registry setting and the installer worked without a hitch.

MOST grateful,
Terry White

Your welcome :)

Ask a Question