Windows Installation Problem

J

Jason Hudson

I have already posted this a couple of weeks ago however, some new developments have come up and I was hoping that someone else might read this.

I have two Raptor SATA disks set up in a RAID 0 format. I did this first and then went to install Windows XP Pro. I formatted the "disk" (NTFS), and setup proceeded to copy the appropriate files. Then, the option came up to reboot the computer. I did so, set up my BIOS for the hard disk to have the number one boot priority and the following statements were displayed:
"Verifying DMI Pool Data ................."
"Boot from CD :"
"Press any key to boot from CD....."

If I press any key, it goes back into the Windows installation. If I don't press any key, the computer simply sits there and looks stupid. I then took the CD out of the computer, restarted the computer, ensured that the boot priority was for the hard disk first and CD second and let the computer do its thing. Then the computer displayed this:
"DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER"

Now, at this point I figured that it was a RAID thing. So, I deleted the RAID set and simply had two disk drives at 36 GB each. I went through the whole install process again and made sure that the disk I installed Windows on was selected first and all that jazz and let the computer start up only to receive the same results.

Anyone out there might be able to help? My initial thought is a faulty install disk. Is there someplace I can get another copy of Windows XP Pro and simply use my current product key or do I need to buy a whole new disk, license and all?

P

peter

Did you install the SATA Raid drivers?? during the XP install.There comes a point during the installation it asks if you are installing into anything other than EIDE and if you are asks you to push F6 and insert a floppy with the drivers on it.At which point XP will install those drivers.
peter

I have already posted this a couple of weeks ago however, some new developments have come up and I was hoping that someone else might read this.

I have two Raptor SATA disks set up in a RAID 0 format. I did this first and then went to install Windows XP Pro. I formatted the "disk" (NTFS), and setup proceeded to copy the appropriate files. Then, the option came up to reboot the computer. I did so, set up my BIOS for the hard disk to have the number one boot priority and the following statements were displayed:

If I press any key, it goes back into the Windows installation. If I don't press any key, the computer simply sits there and looks stupid. I then took the CD out of the computer, restarted the computer, ensured that the boot priority was for the hard disk first and CD second and let the computer do its thing. Then the computer displayed this:

Now, at this point I figured that it was a RAID thing. So, I deleted the RAID set and simply had two disk drives at 36 GB each. I went through the whole install process again and made sure that the disk I installed Windows on was selected first and all that jazz and let the computer start up only to receive the same results.

Anyone out there might be able to help? My initial thought is a faulty install disk. Is there someplace I can get another copy of Windows XP Pro and simply use my current product key or do I need to buy a whole new disk, license and all?

J

Jason Hudson

Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I did install the SATA Raid drivers.

--
Jason Hudson
Did you install the SATA Raid drivers?? during the XP install.There comes a point during the installation it asks if you are installing into anything other than EIDE and if you are asks you to push F6 and insert a floppy with the drivers on it.At which point XP will install those drivers.
peter

P

peter

Try booting up using the XP CD-ROM and choose to repair. Then choose the
Recovery Console Option...
Choose the number corresponding to your XP version and enter your
Administrator Password (then press enter).

After that you'll see a command prompt...enter the following command:

bootcfg /rebuild" command to fix boot.ini.
FIXBOOT will fix the boot sector on the boot drive,
FIXMBR will fix the master boot record if the NT loader
complains of a missing HAL or unmountable boot volume.

After the process is completed enter the command EXIT to quit (and the
system should auto reboot OK from that point onwards...
Try both the FIXBOOT and the FIXMBR command
peter
Yes, sorry I forgot to mention that. I did install the SATA Raid drivers.

--
Jason Hudson
peter

Ask a Question