Windows Font Problem

Reaction score
The other day I cleaned up my hard drive by unistalling several large applications that I'm no longer using. After restarting Window XP Home, I noticed that all the fonts (words) were replaced with nosense symbols (squares, question marks, boxes, etc.). I have no idea what I did but something must have been uninstalled that shouldn't have been . I did notice that the font file was completely empty.

In response to the fonts not being there, I download some free fonts and installed them in the font folder. This helped a little but none of the fonts were part of the Windows core font group (which I couldn't find for free). The fonts I did use were of the freeware variety. The end result was that about 85% of the fonts came back but I have no control over what style was being used by what application.

Next I restarted Windows only to discover that all the fonts were once again gone. The font folder was complete empty.

Can anyone help me out?? Would installing the Windows core fonts make a difference?? Why would restarting the system delete my entire font folder?? The Microsoft website doesn't offer a free download for replacing the core fonts at this time. Does anyone know were I could download these system fonts without charge?? I'm not after commercial fonts package, just the core fonts.

Thanks -- Rick

Ask a Question