Windows Fax and Scan (WFS) can't use Outlook 2007 Contacts

Discussion in 'Windows Vista Print / Fax / Scan' started by tempelife, Feb 10, 2009.

  1. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    System:
    Vista Ultimate x64
    Office Ultimate 2007 w/ BCM

    "Windows Fax and Scan" (WFS) does not allow me to choose Outlook Contacts in
    order to populate the fax number field. WFS is using Windows Contact instead
    Outlook Contacts.

    I've tried everything of which I could think, and read every forum I could
    find on the web.

    Steps I've tried:
    1) Control Panel-> Programs-> Default Programs-> Set Default Programs->
    Outlook
    I Checked all boxes (6 extensions, 6 protocols, 1 start menu).
    Technically, they’re “grayed out†but checked.
    Is anything missing?
    ..hol
    ..ibc
    ..ics
    ..msg
    ..vcf
    ..vcs
    --------------------------------
    MAILTO
    OUTLOOKFEED
    OUTLOOKFEEDS
    STSSYNC
    WEBCAL
    WEBCALS
    -------------------------------
    E-mail link

    2) Control Panel-> Programs-> Default Programs-> Set Default Programs->
    Windows Contact
    4 of 5 items are “grayed out†and checked.
    ..contact
    ..group
    ..p7c
    ..vcf (only one not checked)
    --------------------------------
    LDAP

    3) Outlook-> Tools-> Account Settings-> Address Books
    Outlook Address book shows up as MAPI?
    I tried creating another MAPI Address Book to test, but was limited to only
    one.
    I tried creating LDAP, but it didn’t seem to do anything, and I don’t know
    what it does.

    4) Outlook-> Folder List View-> Contacts (right click) -> Properties->
    Outlook Address Book
    “Show this Folder as an Email Address Book†is checked but “Grayed Outâ€.

    5) Checked on my .PST File.
    C:\Users\Bret\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook.PST
    Interesting Note about Properties:
    “Type of File: Microsoft Outlook Personal Folders (.pst)â€
    “Opens With: Unknown Applicationâ€
    Is that normal to say opens with “Unknown Application�
    When I open Outlook, it always opens normally.
    However when I try to associate a program (outlook), then open the file up
    directly it doesn’t work. It seems fine to me, but I thought I throw that in
    here.

    6) WFS-> New Fax-> To-> Select Recipients-> Find-> Look In->
    Windows Contact, Active Directory, Verisign Internet Directory Service all
    show up.
    Why would the latter to appear? That seems odd to me.

    7) I always run WFS as Administrator to make sure permissions are not the
    problem.

    Please help. I am at a loss.
    One of my concerns is that WFS and Outlook Contact won’t work together in
    Vista x64.
    Can anyone confirm or deny this?

    As I’ve already found out, “Outlook Internet Fax Service†doesn’t work on
    Vista x64 told to me by a Windows Dialog Box, but I don’t think should be
    preventing me from bringing my Outlook Contacts into WFS.

    tempelife, Feb 10, 2009

  2. Verify that you have configured the Outlook Address Book Service correctly.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 10, 2009

  3. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    I'm not sure how to "configure the Outlook Address Book Service correctly."
    However, when I right click contacts, select properties, and then choose the
    outlook address tab, "show this folder as an email address book" is selected
    but grayed out.

    An interesting note is that when I click File, then Folder, then Contact
    properties Outlook crashes every time. What is that about? Though right
    clicking on contacts and going to properties works. Do both of these go to
    the same place?

    Thanks,
    Bret

    tempelife, Feb 17, 2009
  4. That is certainly an "interesting note." It explains your problem. Now
    provide the precise steps you used to corrupt your Outlook profile. You were
    there. We weren't. We can't read minds. How to configure the Outlook Address
    Book is basic information widely available:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;287563&Product=ol2002
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 18, 2009
  5. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    I didn't realize it was corrupted.
    I have hundreds of folders and nearly 1000 contacts.
    Everything except for the issue mentioned seems to work flawless.
    I don't understand why a corrupted .PST would act normal in all other ways.

    I really don't think I did anything wrong.
    Are there any known issues with Vista Ultimate x64 and Outlook 2007 w/
    Business Contact Manager (Office Ultimate 2007).

    Furthermore, if the PST File is corrupted, what would be the best way to
    salvage all my emails, email folders, accounts, contacts, rules, etc. w/o
    bringing the corruption into a new PST file?

    tempelife, Feb 18, 2009
  6. I never said anything about a corrupted PST file. I said your Outlook
    Address Book Service is corrupted. The only way to repair it in Outlook 2007
    is to create a new Outlook profile from scratch. That's why know how you
    configured the Outlook Address Book Service in the first place is important
    to know so you don't make the same mistake next time.
    The fact that you've added BCM muddies the waters even further. You should
    ask in a BCM group whether using it for your fax address book is even
    supported.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 18, 2009
  7. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    Thanks, Russ.

    I created a new Address Book Service, which in turn meant I created a new
    Profile.
    On the new Profile, I did not setup BCM, and yet WFS still doesn't recognize
    my new Outlook contacts.

    I have not idea what's going on. Do you think in some way it is related to
    being a x64 bit OS?

    tempelife, Feb 18, 2009
  8. I doubt it has anything to do with 64 bit. Your post doesn't make sense.
    Creating a new Address Book Service in no way creates a new profile. State
    precisely what you did.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 18, 2009
  9. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    Maybe I didn't do the right thing.

    I went Control Panel-> 32-Bit-> Mail-> Profiles-> Add-> Then I named it
    "Outlook2".
    By doing so another PST file was created.
    I chose to make it my default profile.

    But it did not work with WFS.

    However, I no longer had problem within Outlook clicking File-> Folders->
    Contacts-> Properties meaning Outlook no longer crashed unexpectedly.

    tempelife, Feb 18, 2009
  10. If you created a new profile with a new PST file, there would be no
    Contacts.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 19, 2009
  11. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    Sorry Russ,

    Been out with a horrible fever.
    That's true, but I created a couple of fictitious contacts for testing to
    see if the new PST file would work with WFS, but no dice.

    I don't know what else to to do.

    tempelife, Feb 22, 2009
  12. Do those Contacts contain valid, resolved fax addresses? What happens when
    you open the address book view in Outlook?
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 22, 2009
  13. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    Yes, the faxes contain valid, resolved fax phone numbers.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "open address book view in Outlook"?

    I'm I supposed to go to Veiw

    tempelife, Feb 23, 2009
  14. tempelife

    tempelife Guest

    Do you have any theories of what may be causing my issue?
    It is it totally impossible to be a 64-bit issue?

    Thanks,
    Bret

    tempelife, Feb 25, 2009
  15. Just click on the address book icon in Outlook and state what you see.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Feb 25, 2009