Windows Fatal Error Recovery Popup

P

Pete B

Does anybody know a way to shut off those annoying popups that WindowsXP seems to generate at random, the ones that say something like "Windows has recovered from a fatal error. Would you like to send this error information to Microsoft?" with a button to let you see the usual crystal-clear diagnostic explanation of what happened, usually involving lots of hex codes, "fatal" this and "memory location" that, yada yada?

The windows are totally annoying, they always ask you this, but somehow I don't see Balmer's Boys sitting around sifting through ten gazillion cryptic diagnostic messages and doing anything except a mass delete (because if yopu multiply the frequency I get these crappy things by the ten gazillion WinXP systems out there, I bet it would consume half of all available internet capacity to send all these nag notes. Maybe they are a sneaky Microsoft-designed system for generating harmless looking viruses.....

Is there an option I can set or something that will permanently rid my system of these annoying nags? BTW although I get these messages now and then, mostly at bootup, I have never seen anything be wrong, and I always just shut the window and continue doing real work instead of generating nag screens. Can anyone help?

J

Jose

Does anybody know a way to shut off those annoying popups that WindowsXP seems to generate at random, the ones that say something like "Windows has recovered from a fatal error.  Would you like to send this error information to Microsoft?" with a button to let you see the usual crystal-clear diagnostic explanation of what happened, usually involving lots of hex codes, "fatal" this and "memory location" that, yada yada?

The windows are totally annoying, they always ask you this, but somehow Idon't see Balmer's Boys sitting around sifting through ten gazillion cryptic diagnostic messages and doing anything except a mass delete (because if yopu multiply the frequency I get these crappy things by the ten gazillion WinXP systems out there, I bet it would consume half of all available internet capacity to send all these nag notes.  Maybe they are a sneaky Microsoft-designed system for generating harmless looking viruses.....

Is there an option I can set or something that will permanently rid my system of these annoying nags?  BTW although I get these messages now and then, mostly at bootup,  I have never seen anything be wrong, and I alwaysjust shut the window and continue doing real work instead of generating nag screens.  Can anyone help?

You can disable the error reporting mechanism, but doing to will not
resolve the underlying abnormality.

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/598

S

sgopus

Yeah, you can post the error message in it's entirety here, and maybe someone
can help, we need the error numbers.

More than likely it's a driver issue, but without the error message, no way
to really know for sure.

D

db

probably your system has orphaned
processes and left your registry dirty.

what you can try is to click on start>
run>msconfig

then disable all your startups and
non microsoft services then reboot.

if the pop ups stop, then it means
you successfully disable its process
via the msconfig.

--
db·´¯`·...¸><)))º>
DatabaseBen, Retired Professional
- Systems Analyst
- Database Developer
- Accountancy
- Veteran of the Armed Forces
- @Hotmail.com

"share the nirvana mann" - dbZen

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P

Pete B

You misunderstand. This is not specific to any one error, or device, or driver, or anything. This has been ongoing for years, and on every WinXP system I have owned. Every time it happens the errors are uniquely different, and totally obscure; they usually resemble the types of errors you get from the C++ development system, like when a DLL gets corrupted for instance or a program is screwed up, about registers, memory locations, etc, and all in hex. It is a **standard** built-in system dialog that pops up to report the occasion of an error, not an error dialog itself.

And I don't care about the error anyway, because as the dialog always states, Windows has always already fixed the error without me doing anything, it just asks me to allow it to send a report to Microsoft about it. The only options are "send" or "don't send" the report, and the errors are always the kind for which there is no KB article or whatever anyway, IOW undocumented errors.

I justy want the WinXP to stop asking me whether it can send the report, I want to permanently disable it fro asking me so I never see that dialog again.

--
Pete B

sgopus said:
Yeah, you can post the error message in it's entirety here, and maybe someone
can help, we need the error numbers.

More than likely it's a driver issue, but without the error message, no way
to really know for sure.

P

Pete B

Yes, but will that disable all reporting of everything? I only want to disable this idiotic "send an error report to MS" dialog.

--
Pete B

Does anybody know a way to shut off those annoying popups that WindowsXP seems to generate at random, the ones that say something like "Windows has recovered from a fatal error. Would you like to send this error information to Microsoft?" with a button to let you see the usual crystal-clear diagnostic explanation of what happened, usually involving lots of hex codes, "fatal" this and "memory location" that, yada yada?

The windows are totally annoying, they always ask you this, but somehow I don't see Balmer's Boys sitting around sifting through ten gazillion cryptic diagnostic messages and doing anything except a mass delete (because if yopu multiply the frequency I get these crappy things by the ten gazillion WinXP systems out there, I bet it would consume half of all available internet capacity to send all these nag notes. Maybe they are a sneaky Microsoft-designed system for generating harmless looking viruses.....

Is there an option I can set or something that will permanently rid my system of these annoying nags? BTW although I get these messages now and then, mostly at bootup, I have never seen anything be wrong, and I always just shut the window and continue doing real work instead of generating nag screens. Can anyone help?

You can disable the error reporting mechanism, but doing to will not
resolve the underlying abnormality.

http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/598

P

Pete B

None of that applies. And I would never know oif the popups stopped, they do not occur regularly, only once in a while.

P

Pete B

Perhaps I will have to take a screenshot of this the next time it happens and post it, but the last time I did that I goit bitched out for the excess size of the post. So I don't know if that would be an option. I don't think anyone understands exactly what I am talking about.

--
Pete B

B

Bob I

What are you calling "all reporting of everything"? All it does is kill
the "offer to send a report".

B

BillW50

In Pete B typed on Wed, 16 Sep 2009 11:21:48 -0500:
Perhaps I will have to take a screenshot of this the next time it
happens and post it, but the last time I did that I goit bitched out
for the excess size of the post. So I don't know if that would be an
option. I don't think anyone understands exactly what I am talking
about.

There are free websites that will host your images, like ImageShack.
Then you can place a link to show those that wants to see the image.
Like this for example:

http://img104.imageshack.us/img104/6175/20090125085946id8.gif

Here is the link for ImageShack
http://www.imageshack.us/

P

Pete B

I did not understand, I guess, because the post said "You can disable the error reporting mechanism...". I did not know if that "reporting mechanism" applied to other uses or types of problems or whatever besides this specific type I am talking about. If the case is as you say, I will use the solution provided, and my thanks for it.

P

Pete B

Thanks, Bill. Useful web site. I used to have the MS equivalent of a free web storage like that, but they discontinued it. I will sign upo for this one.

B

Bob I

Please click the link Jose posted and read what to do and your options.
It should clear up the "I did not" parts of your reply.

P

Pete B

Already done. Thanks to you and Jose for the solution. Amazing, all these years and I never noticed that option setting.....

J

Jose

Already done.  Thanks to you and Jose for the solution.  Amazing, allthese years and I never noticed that option setting.....

Ooof! A nudge!

I hope it was clear that you still have an unresolved issue with your
system - and to generate that kind of error, a potentially serious
one.

Problem solving is quite popular around here.

P

Pete B

one.

Perhaps, but it is a symptomless, harmless, benign problem. As I said, the dialog never appeared when I had any visible problems, it only appeared to tell me that Windows had fixed ("recovered from") some error all by itself (which is why God invented error handlers and such). Since it happened many times over the years, and never once actually made any problem known to anyone including me in any way, I think I won't really worry much about it. Because whenever I have had a real problem, Windows has had no qualms about acting like something was wrong.

And actually, the reason I run WinXP Pro is because, well, I never actually have any problems with it........ it is essentially problem free for me always.

--
Pete B

Already done. Thanks to you and Jose for the solution. Amazing, all these years and I never noticed that option setting.....

Ooof! A nudge!

one.

P

Pete B

OK Jose, the send report screen is gone, but the error screen still appears, as it did this morning at startup. Here is a screenshot of the error screen and the two associated subscreens concerning the problem:

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/barnespr/

I could not find the two files shown in the Error Report Contents subscreen, so I do not know what is in those files. I searched for the files on my whole PC but the search came up empty.

And as usual, all I did was close the screen and went on my merry way, nothing wrong detected.

--
Pete B

Ooof! A nudge!

one.

J

Jose

OK Jose, the send report screen is gone, but the error screen still appears, as it did this morning at startup.  Here is a screenshot of the errorscreen and the two associated subscreens concerning the problem:

Okay, Pete B.

The something wrong part has already happened.

This is a STOP error 50 which you can read some about here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793437.aspx

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm (look for 50 on the left).

Is there a BSOD that comes first, then a reboot, then this message?

There could be more clues on the BSOD screen that may reference a
specific driver. If you have a BSOD, you won't be able to get a
screen shot, so write down the non boring parts. You may have to
disable Automatic Restart:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Startup and Recovery Settings,
uncheck Automatically restart...

Do the P1-P4 numbers change or are they always the same? This info is
in the Event Viewer System log, Source = System Error. Same P1-P4?

Perhaps something associated with HP, Nvidia, ATI drivers or other
video drivers... any new hardware, drivers in those areas?

Has the system ever worked properly until last week (or whenever it
started happening).

If you look in Device Manager, any ?s, !s, or Xs that you can't
account for?

You know what it means, now you need to figure out is it always the
same message, then who is doing it.

I will go ahead and mention the possibility of bad RAM before somebody
else does...

P

Pete B

Thanks, Jose. As I stated, there are no BSDs, reboots, or anything involved when this stuff pops up, ever. It usually happens at bootup, but it never causes any interruptions otr failures, NOTHING ever has appeared to be wrong in any way. However, I would not be surprised if it has something to do with network card connection issues, sometimes the ISP I use has issues that way, but not the card itself. As well, sometimes my AV software firewall gets into arguments with the Windows firewall about who's the boss at startup, and it takes awhile on bootup for them to settle the issue.

Likewise, it may have to do with HP stuff but nothing I can do if it is, I am stuck with what I have. I run Belarc sys diags every once in awhile, everything including memory comes back OK and all the drivers etc. are good per WindowsXP. No hardware or software problems anywhere on the system, and all my drivers and software are up to date, updated automatically in fact. I check my whole PC every month or so with a PC diagnostic tuneup app, so it is pretty good shape.

One thing I do have is a **bunch** of different software of all types on my PC, maybe that is conributing, but I have to live with it.

None of your other questions apply. This has been ongoing for years. Maybe it is something like you say, but I fear I might make things worse if I start messing with all that stuff you mention, so I will just live with it unless it does cause a problem.

Thanks for looking at the problem, I will see what happens in the future and keep this discussion in mind.

--
Pete B

OK Jose, the send report screen is gone, but the error screen still appears, as it did this morning at startup. Here is a screenshot of the error screen and the two associated subscreens concerning the problem:

Okay, Pete B.

The something wrong part has already happened.

This is a STOP error 50 which you can read some about here:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms793437.aspx

http://aumha.org/a/stop.htm (look for 50 on the left).

Is there a BSOD that comes first, then a reboot, then this message?

There could be more clues on the BSOD screen that may reference a
specific driver. If you have a BSOD, you won't be able to get a
screen shot, so write down the non boring parts. You may have to
disable Automatic Restart:

Right click My Computer, Properties, Startup and Recovery Settings,
uncheck Automatically restart...

Do the P1-P4 numbers change or are they always the same? This info is
in the Event Viewer System log, Source = System Error. Same P1-P4?

Perhaps something associated with HP, Nvidia, ATI drivers or other
video drivers... any new hardware, drivers in those areas?

Has the system ever worked properly until last week (or whenever it
started happening).

If you look in Device Manager, any ?s, !s, or Xs that you can't
account for?

You know what it means, now you need to figure out is it always the
same message, then who is doing it.

I will go ahead and mention the possibility of bad RAM before somebody
else does...

Ask a Question