Guy Smith

Windows explorer has just stopped functioning, that includes all functions
related including the likes of My Computer, Network Connections etc.The
problem first showed when IE stopped working. Other non-windows related
progs are working fine.
I have:
Used system restore
Reinstalled Win XP
Has anyone got any ideas please - besides HD format and reinstalling XP!

R

roger

Hi Guy,

Windows explorer has just stopped functioning, that includes all functions
related including the likes of My Computer, Network Connections etc.The
problem first showed when IE stopped working. Other non-windows related
progs are working fine.
I have:
Used system restore
Reinstalled Win XP
Has anyone got any ideas please - besides HD format and reinstalling XP!

Try this, go to Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced options
tab, and check 'disable third-party browser extensions.'

Good luck

G

Hi there.

I have tried doing a virus check and did a scan disk as well but the explorer window for both windows and internet is still not popping up. All the other programs that do not require the explorer screen works well. i have resulted in browsing the web thru outlook and it is very limited. Is there another way to fix this problem?

R

roger

Hi Franz,

Hi there.

I have tried doing a virus check and did a scan disk as well but the explorer window for both windows and internet is still not popping up. All the other programs that do not require the explorer screen works well. i have resulted in browsing the web thru outlook and it is very limited. Is there another way to fix this problem?

Try doing this: Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > 'Advanced
options' tab and check 'Disable third-party browser extensions.'

Good luck

G

thanks Roger

I saw your suggestion on the previous message. The problem is that i cannot even get to the control panel window. Like i mentioned, anything that utilizes an explorer type window does not work which means getting to the control panel, my computer, my network places, search, windows and internet explorer, and even the recycle bin. Also, i have pulled up the properties of my internet explorer and it says "Enable third party extensions" and this has already been checked.

G

This is one of many related "topics" on here under different headings
In the topic "Program stop reponding" (sic)

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/...dowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/configuration.xm

One person reported success using free software from Panda

http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.ht

in finding and removing some (he didn't say what) offending software. My brother is having the same problem and I will try Roger's solution as well as run the Panda software and other Spyware software to see if it finds and fixes the problem

To access the Control panel, boot up your computer in Safe Mode -- Press F8 repeatedly just after the bios finishes if you can not set it by

Click Star
Ru
Type "msconfig", then click "ok" at the dialogue bo
switch to "safe Boot" you will find the option under one of the options tabs, I forget which one. I have a MAC so I can't check it here

Restart the computer

Before you do so you may want to Disable your system restore (do it before you set to Safe Mode). You switch it back after you finish your diagnostics

Ti

Ask a Question