the game "the sims" when the unzipped folder opens in a
new window the error message comes up:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell
Microsoft about this problem"

and then closes. This is getting very fustraiting, any
ideas on how I can avoid this?

G

Hey Dave: Just read this posting. I have the very same problem. It came out of the blue. My machine doesn't actually shut down. The screen flickers momentarily as if shutting down and it goes back to the desktop. Sometimes, I try to click on the Start button and nothing happens. I can access programs via the icons on the desktop, though.

Thanks

----- Dave wrote: -----

Windows explorer keeps crashing, either when I'm viewing
picture files in "My pictures" or when I unzip skins for
the game "the sims" when the unzipped folder opens in a
new window the error message comes up:

"Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to
close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. Please tell
Microsoft about this problem"

and then closes. This is getting very fustraiting, any
ideas on how I can avoid this?

G

Same thing happening to me, except I get the same messge for IE. (see my posting of 1/18) Did this by any chance start after you loaded the latest security updates?

G

Same problem here for more than a year now. Most frustrating. Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I have sent error reports several times, but what does that do?
Is there a fix out there??

----- fredbaycrane wrote: -----

Same thing happening to me, except I get the same messge for IE. (see my posting of 1/18) Did this by any chance start after you loaded the latest security updates?

G

Same problem: IE crashes after accessing My pictures

----- Tim wrote: ----

Same problem here for more than a year now. Most frustrating. Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to shut down. I have sent error reports several times, but what does that do
Is there a fix out there?

----- fredbaycrane wrote: ----

G

Thanks to all the "experts".

Downloaded Lavasoft Adaware 6.0, installed and ran it, removed all ad-ware. Voila! Windows and Internet Explorer live again! Download the updates to Adaware before you run it.

G

I have the same problem with windows explorer crashing all the time and sending error reports. Don't notice it after i run any particular program, it just happens anytime. I do have the lavasoft ad-aware it doesn't fix anything at all
anyone have any other fixes?

G

Same thing has been happening to me for at least a year. Happens with Windows Explorer, Windows Media Player, Cybersitter and Quicken software, just to name a few. I tried Adaware spyware removal with no success. Someone has to have an answer

???

G

Same problem here with multiple software applications like Bob above...for 1+ years now. Someone must have a solution. I have tried Adaware, Spybot and a couple of other "remedies" that have been suggested to me with no success.

A new problem has also availed itself...all of a sudden, my Address Book in Outlook Express has disappeared and I can't send email. I can receive, but I can't send or reply. Says I need to reinstall Outlook Express. How do you do that? Isn't OE part of Internet Explorer?

G

I have had this problem also since I received my new Dell running Win XP Pro
and I think I've fixed the problem.

This problem seemed to happen in folders with more than about a dozen jpg's
in them. I think the problem was that I had the .jpg file type set to open in
PhotoShop and this caused thumbnails to be viewed in each folder.

I fixed the problem by associating jpg's to be opened with Internet Explorer
instead of PhotoShop. Also, if you right click on a jpg and go to Properties
PhotoShop Image, or the tab where you can view a thumbnail, and uncheck the
box that says Generate Thumbnails that should take care of the problem.

Hope this helps,

Alan L

Ask a Question