    be cleaned up. I am set up for automatic updates, so the program is current
    - what is wrong here? What is this program supposed to be doing, besides
    taking up space??

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Windows Defender does not scan for cookies. Spybot and Ad-aware do. Also
    Ad-aware may list MRU's in the system registry. If Spybot and Ad-aware are
    detecting other things than listed above. please post what other items are
    being detected.

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    "carolcaslow" wrote:

    > When I run my Windows Defender Scan, it never finds anything. If I run Ad
    > Aware or Spybot immediately after, they find all sorts fo thing that need to
    > be cleaned up. I am set up for automatic updates, so the program is current
    > - what is wrong here? What is this program supposed to be doing, besides
    > taking up space??

    As Mr Cat says, AdAware and Spybot will diligently pick up tracking cookies
    and thereby seem to be doing a lot. But if tracking cookies are the only
    things they're finding, then you have nothing to worry about - Defender is
    doing exactly what it's designed to do, and in your case, finding nothing.

    Leaving aside the cookie issue, you might find this information helpful: I
    have several antispyware scanners: AVG, Defender, AdAware, Spybot, a-squared,
    and SuperAntispyware. AVG, AdAware, and a-squared have all, at some time or
    another, detected spyware, or traces of spyware, on my computer. But every
    one of those detections has subsequently turned out to be a false positive.
    All this time, Defender has simply been doing its job correctly - reporting
    nothing, because there was nothing to report. I've never experienced a
    Defender false positive response.

    If you, like me, use the internet sensibly, with a firewall and up-to-date
    antivirus software in place, and a few good antispyware programs, then, quite
    simply, your machine probably isn't infected. I don't say this to encourage
    complacency, but rather as an antidote to the paranoia we often tend to
    succumb to. As Bill Sanderson wisely reminded me recently - spyware doesn't
    travel through the air into your computer!

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Thank you - I think I understand what you are saying... so running the Quick
    Scan daily is doing the job for me and I shouldn't worry about it... just run
    the Spybot or AdAware periodically to clean up the 'other junk'. Thanks!

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    "carolcaslow" wrote:

    > Thank you - I think I understand what you are saying... so running the Quick
    > Scan daily is doing the job for me and I shouldn't worry about it... just run
    > the Spybot or AdAware periodically to clean up the 'other junk'. Thanks!

    Would you just check to see if Defender's real-time protection is switched
    on? Double-click on the Defender icon to open up the main panel, then click
    on Tools; then click on Options; then scroll down until you find a little box
    labelled 'Use real time protection'. Make sure that's selected.

    So you now have Defender's real-time protection; and the daily scan. But
    it's always a good idea to have several antispyware programs - because some
    may detect things that others miss. So yes, definitely keep scanning
    regularly with AdAware and Spybot, but bear in mind that it's to be expected
    that they will pick up tracking cookies (which you can remove if you want),
    whereas Defender deliberately ignores them.

    Good luck!

    Guest, Mar 22, 2007

    Yes. Also follow Alan's advice.

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007

    Yes, thank you - I have Real Time Protection on and Daily Quick Scan on. I
    think I got it now! Thanks!

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007

    Most cookie "issues" can be eliminated by using the tools in your browser. In
    Internet Explorer open Tools>Internet Options>Privacy>Advanced. Check
    "Override automatic cookie handling", check"Accept first party cookies",
    check"Block third party cookies" and check "Always allow session cookies".
    --
    Jim

    Guest, Mar 23, 2007